1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

struggling with rear brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM
QuickRacing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default struggling with rear brakes...

Lost... But here's some back story, I've got a 96 Dakota that has sadly been sitting for the better part of three years. I've finally got it home with a new coat of paint and decided it was time to put the RT wheels that I've got for it on. I've put about 30 miles on the truck since I've got it back, pulled it into the garage, switch the wheels over and tried to take it for a spin... Here's where it gets odd..
Started the truck and tried to pull out of the garage, but the drivers rear tire was locked up tight "will NOT spin"! However, since I pulled the truck out dragging the wheel, I figured I'd try to get it back in the garage. put the truck in reverse and backed right up no problem, tire rolled smooth. So I pulled off the trouble wheel to find the auto adjusting brakes has adjusted to the point where the shoes apparently lock up the drum. But the drum will still slide right off!!??! It's somehow wedging something and not allowing the tire to spin in drive? Will let go in reverse and continue to adjust, put it in drive and it locks up? Any ideas? Replace the brakes? Never seen anything like it.
I adjusted the brakes all the way in and it works it's way locked as the brakes self adjust...
I'm lost

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya I would suggest to replace everything shoes, wheel cylinder, adjuster mechanisms springs heck even the brake cable. Drums too.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
kahanabob
Captain

the star wheel self adjusters are side specific so when you tear them down check if they are on the correct side. unscrew them apart they are marked on the end of the threaded piece.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
QuickRacing

Thanks for the response... Figured replacing them would be the best answer, I just don't understand why all the sudden it locked up!? Figuring the problem out is great, I now know it's the brakes, however I always feel it necessary to ask why/how the problem occurred to bring with?

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickRacing
Thanks for the response... Figured replacing them would be the best answer, I just don't understand why all the sudden it locked up!? Figuring the problem out is great, I now know it's the brakes, however I always feel it necessary to ask why/how the problem occurred to bring with?
Its to hard for us to tell you why over the internet without seeing it. All of the internals are suspects from a broken spring to a misplaced part to the cable is rusted and holding the brakes to even a bad wheel cylinder.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
QuickRacing

Right... I understand that. I will get some parts on my way home and see where it gets me, certainly can't hurt!! Thanks for your help!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:41 PM
QuickRacing
Default no change

Got it all replaced... No change!? Still binding once the drum is pressed on, if I put it on slightly it works fine, once I push it fully on, it binds and won't move forward

Old 03-05-2012, 10:47 PM
festerw
Veteran

Are you sure it's the brakes and not something that let go in the rear end?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:08 AM
QuickRacing

I'm not sure of anything... But with the drum off it spins free

Old 03-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Riden LOw

Originally Posted by QuickRacing
I'm not sure of anything... But with the drum off it spins free
There are two different length shoes on the drum set up. If I'm not mistaken if they are reversed it could give symptoms like this. Maybe someone will be a little more educated on this than I am just something to think about.

Quick Reply: struggling with rear brakes...