1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1993 Dakota 2wd V6

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:22 PM
EQuinn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Dakota 2wd V6

Hi

I have a 1993 Dakota pick up that the Water pump blew the other day. the car steamed a bit but ran the 1/4 mile back to the drive way. I replaced the thermostat, All the hoses and the water pump. Filed it up with antifreeze no leaks. So one thing is going right but I started it up and it was hard starting the RPMs were all over the place and then it stalled. The check engine light is on and the codes are 12, 22 and 55. The 22 points to the coolant temp sensor so I ordered that the 12 says power was cut to the PCM which I disconnected it and 55 means no more codes. At least this is the info I have been able to locate. Does this sound right to you . Will the coolant sensor gone make the truck not want to idle properly or should I be looking somewhere else? the truck did not run 1/4 mile as I said and did not run rough when I shut it down before the work. Any clues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
ngtyler1s
Rookie

Yes the coolant temp sensor probably got too hot from the low coolant level and died. And yes if it threw that code then its most likely bad. And yes that will cause it to run like that. You can check the sensor's resistance with a meter. It is the two wire one behind the AC compressor. Kinda hard to get to.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 AM
EQuinn

Just wanted to give you an update. Yes the sensor was gone and yes it is hard to get too. First I mistook the single wire one which is visible behind the Alternator. Tried to use a standard deep well socket and broke the top off getting it out then Found the right one after removing the AC compressor. Darn thing was tucked in there so tight could barely get a socket on it. But did the Wiring harness that runs across the front of the intake manifold also presented a challenge but if you get a second person to hold that out a bit you can sneak into it make sure you have a long enough extension and mine has a serrated section so you can hold it with your fingers as you slowly back it out. One thing that did give me fits the truck is a 1993 double and triple checked it but it is a late model and has a 1994 engine in it. The sensor is different between the two models at least according to Advance Auto, Napa and Auto Zone I had to go to the dealer with the old one to match it up with the correct replacement the Parts guy was top shelf and we figured it out rather quickly. Changed it out and wow truck is purr-ring like a kitten again. Just has 95000 on it and was really concerned I had toasted the engine. That sensor plays a big roll in the Control unit I would suggest if you ever do a water pump or thermostat you replace it you already have everything off around it and if you had a heat issue you likely will see this little sensor go. it is a cheap fix of $10-20 and $26.99 at the dealer but what a difference.

Thanks for the forum would never have found it with out the pic posted on another post.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:54 PM
kahanabob
Captain

good thing you got it from the dealer, i put a Auto Zone one in my 90 years ago and did not work ended up at the dealer.

Quick Reply: 1993 Dakota 2wd V6