1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 2wd 3.9 v6 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Just ordered a Pioneer 12" sub and Kenwood Amp. With any luck they'll get here Friday (estimated delivery date) and I can get them installed Saturday. Gonna have to find an enclosure that will work locally. Everything that would work on Amazon was going to take way too long and had outrageous shipping.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM
codeym
Amateur

Originally Posted by Motorcharge
Just ordered a Pioneer 12" sub and Kenwood Amp. With any luck they'll get here Friday (estimated delivery date) and I can get them installed Saturday. Gonna have to find an enclosure that will work locally. Everything that would work on Amazon was going to take way too long and had outrageous shipping.
why dont ya just build a box that way you know it'll fit. i have a single cab 91 and built a box with the following dimensions
16" tall
4' long
7 1/2" bottom width
5 1/2" top width

that is for 2 tens and i am a big guy and my seat is about 2 clicks from being all the way forward and i fit pretty well, not the most comfortable but it is bearable. and the sub surrounds dont touch the back of the seat either.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Motorcharge
Professional

Originally Posted by codeym
why dont ya just build a box that way you know it'll fit. i have a single cab 91 and built a box with the following dimensions
16" tall
4' long
7 1/2" bottom width
5 1/2" top width

that is for 2 tens and i am a big guy and my seat is about 2 clicks from being all the way forward and i fit pretty well, not the most comfortable but it is bearable. and the sub surrounds dont touch the back of the seat either.
When I had the bench seat I HAD to have it all the way back and even then my knees hit the steering wheel. With the cherokee seats it eliminated that but I have less rom behind them and they don't lean forward. However there's enough room between the two seats now that I should be able to fit a store bough slanted box between them.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:03 PM
codeym
Amateur

Originally Posted by Motorcharge
When I had the bench seat I HAD to have it all the way back and even then my knees hit the steering wheel. With the cherokee seats it eliminated that but I have less rom behind them and they don't lean forward. However there's enough room between the two seats now that I should be able to fit a store bough slanted box between them.
yeah, i wanna put buckets in but i dont have the $$$ right now so i am using what i have laying around for wood and subs that ive had sitting around also

Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Originally Posted by codeym
yeah, i wanna put buckets in but i dont have the $$$ right now so i am using what i have laying around for wood and subs that ive had sitting around also
I picked mine up for $60 and didn't have to spend any extra money. Just had to drill a hole in outside rear mounts for the existing stud and the front outside bolted where the bench does. The inside rear I tack welded to the floor and the front inside I just cut the head off a bolt and welded it to the floor as a stud.

In other news I got some vinyl decals off Amazon.

For the bed:

For the windshield:

Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Picked up some black paint, going to paint my hood and the top grill where the windshield wipers are black. Also doing the flares and the middle of the tailgate minus the dodge lettering. Will post results tomorrow.

I'm also drawing up plans for a homebrew bed toolbox. All square tubing and black diamond plate, if it turns out well and fairly cheap (and being steel it should) I might start fabbing them to sell locally.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

No paint yet, it's been raining here for a few days now. I got the windshield decal on tonight though. Tried taking some pics but my phone is acting up.

Amp and subwoofer got here today. Kinda feel like a 12" is overkill, but oh well. I'll stuff it in somewhere. Wanted to get the amp hooked up tonight but I got lazy and it got dark.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:07 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Installed the amp and sub tonight. No pics of the process, sorry. Had to build a box and finish everything in a few hours before the sun went down. Built the box out 3/4" finish ply I had lying around. Didn't fit between the seats like I'd hoped, but it fit behind them pretty well. Passenger seat has to be a click forward though for it. Kinda wish I'd gone with a 10" now though because it would have fit perfectly behind the 2 seats between them.

Oh and the windshield decal.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM
codeym
Amateur

i wanna put buckets in my 91 dak, called my local junkyard and they only have 96 cherokee sport would those buckets work just like Motorcharge's, what other years would work like his, junkyard wants $40 a piece you pull

Quick Reply: 1990 2wd 3.9 v6 Build Thread