1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 2wd 3.9 v6 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Motorcharge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 2wd 3.9 v6 Build Thread

1990 Dodge Dakota
Single Cab/Long Bed
3.9 v6
~135xxx
2wd

Upgrades and modifications as of 3/24/12

Cosmetic:
New 235/75/r15 Firestone Destinations
New Jeep wheels painted white
New Paint
Painted dash/interior trim
Bedlined lowers
Bedlined bed
Home made bed rails
painted bumpers, light trim, and grill
Kenwood Head Unit
Rockford Fosgate rear speakers
Sony xplode front speakers
96 Jeep Cherokee bucket seats
Kenwood Amp
Pioneer 12" Sub

Mechanical:
Spark plugs
Wires
Distributor Cap
Distributor rotor
PCV valve
Fuel filter
Air Filter
Rear brakelines
Fan clutch
Wheel bearings

Upcoming:
Herculining the floor
2" Hockey puck body lift
LED dash conversion
Interior trim/door panel paint
Black seatbelt replacement
Dana 30/Jeep Cherokee front end solid axle conversion
NP231 Transfer Case/4x4 Conversion
Rear of cab/rear of bed removal
Full length cage and soft top

Close to when I got it:

Current:

Last edited by Motorcharge; 05-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Picked up some Jeep wheels tonight for $10 a piece.

Same wheels minus the center caps.

The agenda for tomorrow:

priming/painting/finishing them in white and mounting/balancing my tires on them.

Big fan of white wheels and it's rare you see them anymore.

I'll also be pulling my bumpers, grill, and the other plastic pieces on the front end to paint them black to match the new trim paint and bed.

If I have time I'll gut the interior and use my leftover Herculiner to do the floor in the cab and prep it for when I get WJ seats to swap in.

I'll post pics of the results asap tomorrow.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Updated. Pics in the OP. The last one you can see where some of the paint came off under the left tail light. I'm gonna mask it back off and bedline all the way up front the left side of the tail light over to the tail gate. Then I'm removing the tailgate, taping off the DODGE lettering and lining the middle section so it's black with blue lettering.

I didn't get the leveling kit in today and the shops closed tomorrow so it'll have to wait til next weekend.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:05 PM
Deathkota
Amateur

Looks great! Nice work so far. I like your rims, should looks great!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Thanks!

Might be getting the WJ seats in next weekend. They just put a new 00' Grand out at the local junkyard, gonna head down there and check the seats out tomorrow. It would be perfect if they were power leather/heated.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Picked up some grey cloth seats out of a 96 XJ (Jeep Cherokee) for $60 today. Paid the guy/bill of sale today anyway, picking the seats up tomorrow.

If I've got time after leveling the front end out Saturday I'm gonna try and at least get the drivers side in. I'll post up pics Saturday.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

Got the cherokee seats in today and I absolutely love them. Sit higher but gained leg room and because of how they sit I didn't lose head room despite being higher up. Visibility is soooo much better.

Best part is the bench seat holes line up perfectly with the cherokee seat brackets (84-96, not sure about 97+), just had to drill a 1/4" hole for the rear stud. Welded interior rear bracket to the floor and welded a stud in for the front interior mount. Hardly took any time at all. Ran out of argon before I could weld the passenger side in but its still half bolted in.

Pics when I get home.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Motorcharge
Professional

The slot is where the seats bolted down in the Cherokee originally, just barely short of where I needed them. This is the drivers side rear stud where the bench seat bolted down.

This is the drivers side front exterior where the bench seat bolted down, hole lined up perfectly. The tab on the seat was a bit more angled, but flattened out right where I needed it when I tightened the bolt up.

The rear interior bracket I just welded to the floor and the front interior I cut the heads off two screws and welded them to the floor as posts similar to the rear exterior. Couldn't get decent pics unfortunately.

I went ahead and yanked out the rubber flooring too, cleaning all the **** under it and the old seat was the long part, otherwise I got these in in about an hour. Had to cut out the scissor jack bracket to get the passenger seat in too. You can see how much rust is in the floor pans, gonna take care of that next weekend and use the left over bedliner on the floor.

I really only have a couple small complaints with these seats. One, even at 6'3" I can barely reach the passenger side window handle like I used to. Two, they don't fold forward so I lost some storage behind the seat, however this means I'm carrying less unneeded crap around with me. And finally, I didn't gain as much room as I hoped between the seats, I could probably get a 10" sub box in there but it means I'm not going to be able to do a center console like I'd hoped. I was going to weld a latch lock onto an ammo can and paint it and put it in the middle. I can still mount it to the sub box, but I think it will rattle too much and may end up sitting too high.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! Good job.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 AM
93MissDakota
Professional

awesome, good to know!

Quick Reply: 1990 2wd 3.9 v6 Build Thread