1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My Cab Shifted On Frame!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 06:03 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodger8691
i hate to say it but im gunna bet your front rail is tweeked only right way too fix it is a frame machine at a body shop or you can fake it buy losening the bolts on the fender and re adjusting it to make it fit the hoodhow are the gaps by the fenders and doors if there still good then i doubt its the cab shifting if it was just the cab then those gaps would also be messed up
Passenger side frame rail is bent it had to be cut off and a new piece welded on for the bumper to fit. There is deff a gap between the cab mounts and the walls of the cab, one side is closer than the other unlike the bed which has even space on both side of it's mounts.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey bud, that rust isn't bad lol.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Sauxon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I think that my cab has shifted as well actually. The guy that I bought it from had fixed it up from an autopac auction and did a ****ty job. I notice the front drivers side was hit. Fender and frame have been fixed. My box and cab have never lined up. Box sticks out.. about a 1/2 inch on the... drivers side? I'm thinking the whole cab got pushed towards the passenger side. I will be ordering my body lift soon though so I will take a look at it then (give me a month or two haha)

Old 05-10-2012, 01:37 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Sauxon
Hmm, I think that my cab has shifted as well actually. The guy that I bought it from had fixed it up from an autopac auction and did a ****ty job. I notice the front drivers side was hit. Fender and frame have been fixed. My box and cab have never lined up. Box sticks out.. about a 1/2 inch on the... drivers side? I'm thinking the whole cab got pushed towards the passenger side. I will be ordering my body lift soon though so I will take a look at it then (give me a month or two haha)
Mine got hit on the passenger side and pushed the cab towards the drivers side! I think we are onto something here, will you be replacing yours with the lift blocks or do you add them to stock bushings?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Sauxon
Professional

I only have I think one bottom bushing that is shot. I will replace it, put in all of the 2 inch body lift blocks, and while it is all loose I will try to push the cab/box into alignment

Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

This morning I drilled an 1/8" hole above each of the four cab mounts and soaked them real good with WD40 (had it on hand) repeated throughout the morning then this afternoon I tried loosening and with some struggle I was able to remove the rear cab bolts and bring the fronts out 1/2" which is enough. I parked on a slope using gravity to help shift then put a floor jack under each side in the rear of the cab with a 2x4 on each, floor jacks wheels facing downhill and jacked up just 1/8" or less. Me and my grandfather rocked the truck pushing behind the door toward the passenger side of the truck from the drivers side, it did not do much but after a bit of rocking it did move I got it SO close! But now the gap between the cab and bed is 3/4" on the drivers and about 1-1/8" on the passengers. Dammit, so I don't know if I should try moving the bed now I don't think there is much play in the bed

Now it squeaks worse, I'm 99% sure its the rear cab bushings and if you rock it side to side all you hear is ee-er-ee-er all along the bottom of the back of the cab.

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 05-24-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:31 PM
dodger8691
Professional

glad to see some one ambitious good luck with the fix

Old 06-01-2012, 09:01 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

What would you do without grandpa? Good luck

Quick Reply: My Cab Shifted On Frame!