1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

water pump failure/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 01:13 AM
95REDKOTA3.9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i replace mine about 2 weeks ago pretty much the same as yours except my hoses were still very good so i left them alone. also i got my pump at o'rilley for ~$43 +$11 for the little tube. thought i lost the engine when the pump let go on the highway and the truck started to slow down. but i shut her down and she was good to go. I felt very lucky.

@wolfstar why did you remove the condenser? do you have a v8 because i had no problem getting it out just by removing the radiator and fan shroud on my v6.

fyi dont know if it was true or not but i was told at the parts counter to rough up the gasket surface on the new pump to make a better mounting surface.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 AM
JR318
Veteran

@95RED whoever told you to rough up the mounting surface is a complete idot. Always keep a clean smooth mounting surface or there is a very good chance the gasket will not seal properly. If you did that hope you used some type of sealer. Also hope that it doesn't fail under warranty cause if you take it back with the mounting surface scuffed up then they will not warranty the part.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:35 PM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes I have a V8. I removed the condensor partly because to have better access to the engine, but also to remove the air conditioning system entirely. I was kind of a rookie DiY mechanic at the time.

I used to live on the west coast and my evaporator coil quit on me (a common problem on these trucks). The coil is buried in the dash, I was never really using the AC, and didnt want to replace it, so I just gutted the whole AC (compressor, condensor, receiver / dryer) except for the coil and put a bypass pulley in place. Figured it would save a few pounds and have less to go wrong. In trueth, I'm more of a roll-the-window down type guy anyways.

The anti-collapse spring just sits in the lower rad hose to keep it from sucking shut during driving. If you buy a new one from the dealer you'll get the spring. However if you buy it from an autoparts place it will just come with the hose. Youll either have to ask for it or go to the dealer if they dont have it. If the spring is okay, just reuse it. At least this is what happened to me.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:11 PM
95REDKOTA3.9
Amateur

@jr318 what ever it was coated in was lumpy i sanded it used the supplied gasket and put it on to torque spec. hasn't leaked yet and i didn't even use rtv/silicone. I don't know how they will know i scuffed it up or how that would cause it to go out of warranty.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:02 PM
93MissDakota
Professional

im gonna re-use the old spring for the lower hose, fillin her up and runnin her later today

Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 PM
93MissDakota
Professional

alright, got her filled up and no leaks to be had, sooo happy with that. thermostat opens and she runs cooler now. that new extension tube has no leaks with o-ring and some sealant around the seam. very pleased with how easy this all was.

Quick Reply: water pump failure/replacement