1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Another problem with my Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another problem with my Dakota

Was driving my game today (i coach a 13 and under baseball team) and my truck lost power and started to run real rough and had dropped down in power. I looked down at the tach and noticed that i was only at about 600 rpm while goin 30 mph and goin from a stop it never got passed 1000 rpm until about 45mph. The sound of it to was a real low town and was a lot different from the normal pitch. When coming to a stop it would sound like it was goin to die but would idle fine after i cam to a complete stop, but right as i would press on the gas it would start to bog down and barley want to go

Old 06-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say check your fuel pressure and volume.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:18 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

could it be poor compression in the cylinders? im goin to have to find a fuel pressure gauge and am tryin to find some other things to check out

Old 06-23-2012, 02:15 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

Came up with a list of things to check for tomorrow
1. Fuel Filter (last replace about 2 1/2 or 3 years ago)
2. Fuel Pump Relay and other relays
3. Look at the flash codes
4. if none of those show any promise ill have to bite the bullet and get a fuel gauge
Im almost ready to buy a new truck, i have put way to much money into this truck and its still not running well

Old 06-23-2012, 08:06 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Definitely change the fuel filter first. Good luck

Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

pulled out the fuel filter and blew threw it and was a lot of resistance, air still got threw but it was very little, im goin up to the parts store to get a new one to see if it will change anything

Old 06-23-2012, 04:26 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

Fuel filter was not the problem. Pulled codes 12, 45, 37, 11, and 55
12- Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles (normal). I havnt disconnected the battery in a long time, i dont think that would contribute to my problem
45-Transmission OD solenoid circuit short or open condition detected, not to sure about this one
37- Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure OR Transmission Temperature sensor to high, which is specific to Ram PCM 94-up Dakotas don't have the transmission temperature sensor.
11-Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking.
This is what i think out of al the codes would have the most effect on my problem. Only thing is, the truck starts right up and will idle and run fine with very light throttle, and wouldnt bad timing and crank postion sensor problems effect the starting and make the truck stall?
and i know 55 is the end of code code

Old 06-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you do any recent work on the truck?
The transmission codes could be all related that a connector is unplugged or the wiring is messed up.
The code 11 is serious, I would reset the PCM and see what comes back up. It could be a bad crank sensor or pick up coil(cam sensor) or misadjusted distributor.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:37 AM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

i had just replaced the timing cover gasket about a month ago and had no problem with how it ran, but never touched the chain or gears. I dont see how it would be the timing if at idle it runs like normal, which i did have timed up correctly, and if the crank sensor was bad it would stall at start up right?

Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
89Dakota_Kid

Had a similar issue, but mine would completly die if i left it too long. It was a pretty decent size vacum leak. Mines a 3.9 though.

Quick Reply: Another problem with my Dakota