1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5.2L Coil & Leaf Spring Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 02:28 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had a feeling those control arms are permanently fked, I don't have an OL spring though? How many clamps per stack/side 2 or 4?

Those coil shocks from Amazon say they do not fit my truck when I enter 1988 Dodge Dakota at the top, but for $100 they sound worth it to me! Still confused about how air shocks are better than gas but seems the coil shocks would be better in the long run then the air shocks since it's a physical spring taking the load which will not wear as fast as a gas or air filled cylinder with orings and such in it.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Under Napa's site it says 1989 - 1996 Dakota.
I don't know what the difference would be 87-88 vs 89-96
But looking at other rear shocks for the rear it states 87-96. It is possible that Monroe didn't test fit it on the early years.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Any preferences in style of clamps??

http://www.jcwhitney.com/pro-comp-un.../p3066255.jcwx

http://www.jcwhitney.com/leaf-spring.../p2031546.jcwx

I will be doing the leaf spring bushings as well, from RockAuto, what is the differences between normal grade, service grade, & professional grade??

Old 07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Dodgeman1990
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have clamps similar in operation to the 2nd style. You do have overload springs. Their the shortest leaf that kinda sticks out lower than the rest. Almost like its separating. Clamp each end of the "separated" spring to the rest of the leaf pack. So you would need 2 sets. make sure that the clamps you get will fit over 2.5in leafs. the style I got were squared off u-bolts with plates. $16 bucks a pair from autozone. I installed them in the parking lot in about 10 mins. As for the bushings, its your preference. But id assume pro grade are best and standard grade are just cheapo. Personally I'd go with moog. Never had a problem with any of their stuff.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Thumbs up

Oh, so do all Dakotas come with an overload spring? Why would they put one on a base model RWD reg cab short bed with no tow package, sway bar etc?

Thanks!

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 07-16-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

The simplest clamps are these. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SLF-00250/

No not all Dakotas have an over load spring. I would assume maybe the overload springs came on the trucks with the towing package.

You can see your over load spring it is the one not connected to the rest of the pack at the very bottom.
Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  113.0 KB

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:53 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
No not all Dakotas have an over load spring. I would assume maybe the overload springs came on the trucks with the towing package.
I have a base model with no tow package

All the Dakotas I looked at in the junkyard do not have a clamp on both ends of the overload spring, would this be just to help my worn leafs; make up for the sag but not really serve an overload purpose anymore?

I found a 1987 4x4 long bed in the junkyard with good leafs, same amount in the stack but the leafs themselves might be close to double the thickness of mine also has a tow hitch bumper so maybe thicker leafs was a tow package OR strictly 4x4? Will 4x4 leafs work on my RWD? I forgot to see if they were over or under the axle...

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

BUMP

I need to know if I can use 4x4 leafs on RWD? Is it as simple as flipping the center pin in the leafs or will I need a shim to prevent it being too high; different 4x4 curve?

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM
Riden LOw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I modified the rear springs on my 1992 4x4 club cab actually just finished it today. My truck is a V8 with 3.90s and the rear springs have been a weak link since I got the truck on the road. I first installed air bags. It is a good set up I'm using firestone 2600lb bags, a five gallon air tank and a 480c viar compressor. I can load my 16' gooseneck with a L4400 4x4 Kubota it has a front end loader, and a six foot bush hog. It has no squat, but axle wrap was going to be the death of my u joints. I took my lead Crazy4x4rt. I built a "bastard pack" using a combination of the original leaf springs and most of the springs from a 99 2 wheel drive 1500. I didn't need lift and the 1500 springs bright it back up to factory ride height and since they are longer I took the second leaf from the 1500 and positioned the front of it right under the front bushing of the original Dakota springs and stepped the rest of the springs back from there. I ended up with four springs and a overload. I didn't over do the springs I could have ended up with six springs and maybe 1-2 inches lift but I am still going to use the bags so I can get a little lift if I want by pushing a rocker switch. I did get rid of the axle wrap and brought the truck back to ride height. It cost $100 for the 1500 springs, I could have gotten away cheaper by going to a pull a part but the closest one is 40 miles away and haven't had the time to get up there. The 1500 springs had riveted on clamps which are thick so there is another problem solved. It's worth looking into if you can wrench, looks stock will replace the clamps, weak springs, and friction pads and will make the rear as stiff our stiffer than factory.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
BUMP

I need to know if I can use 4x4 leafs on RWD? Is it as simple as flipping the center pin in the leafs or will I need a shim to prevent it being too high; different 4x4 curve?
Yes you can use 4wd leaf springs. Replacement springs apply to both.
http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_...ota_s/1922.htm

Originally Posted by Riden LOw
I modified the rear springs on my 1992 4x4 club cab actually just finished it today. My truck is a V8 with 3.90s and the rear springs have been a weak link since I got the truck on the road. I first installed air bags. It is a good set up I'm using firestone 2600lb bags, a five gallon air tank and a 480c viar compressor. I can load my 16' gooseneck with a L4400 4x4 Kubota it has a front end loader, and a six foot bush hog. It has no squat, but axle wrap was going to be the death of my u joints. I took my lead Crazy4x4rt. I built a "bastard pack" using a combination of the original leaf springs and most of the springs from a 99 2 wheel drive 1500. I didn't need lift and the 1500 springs bright it back up to factory ride height and since they are longer I took the second leaf from the 1500 and positioned the front of it right under the front bushing of the original Dakota springs and stepped the rest of the springs back from there. I ended up with four springs and a overload. I didn't over do the springs I could have ended up with six springs and maybe 1-2 inches lift but I am still going to use the bags so I can get a little lift if I want by pushing a rocker switch. I did get rid of the axle wrap and brought the truck back to ride height. It cost $100 for the 1500 springs, I could have gotten away cheaper by going to a pull a part but the closest one is 40 miles away and haven't had the time to get up there. The 1500 springs had riveted on clamps which are thick so there is another problem solved. It's worth looking into if you can wrench, looks stock will replace the clamps, weak springs, and friction pads and will make the rear as stiff our stiffer than factory.
Where are the pics? Start a new thread and post them up.

Quick Reply: 5.2L Coil & Leaf Spring Alternatives?