1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

5.2L Coil & Leaf Spring Alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb 5.2L Coil & Leaf Spring Alternatives?

I'm really not satisfied with the suspension on my 1988 Dakota it needs to be more firm I think my rear leafs are literally worn out I weigh 115lbs and I can make that rear end sag down with one leg. I have a 3.9L but wanted (and can't locate) 5.2L front coil springs that are suppose to be 1" taller for the engine weight, I have about 3" of travel in the front so springs 2" taller would work nice.

If I knew the regular or 5.2L spring height/diameter I could measure up springs from a Jeep or some sort of truck, does anyone have the coil spring dimensions for 87-96 Dakotas?

Same goes for the rear except its more open for me to get dimensions while still on the truck, there must be some sort of vehicle I can take rear leaf springs from? Or maybe just keep the top mounting leaf on my Dakota and build my own stacks I'm not sure how complicated it is building a leaf spring stack...any suggestions?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Dodgeman1990
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just replace the springs. I just did front could in my 93 and it madE a world of difference. Add new coils and a set of gabriel max control shocks (77915) like I did and you would be amazed at the difference. As for the rear I have a set of monroe max-air, air shocks (ma816) and I keep em pumped up to 60 psi. a bit stiff but I like the adjustablity of them. Also the moog coil springs only show 1 pt number for both 6 and 8 cyl daks. But start there with good quality replacement parts.
Chris

Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Then I'm going to want to squeeze coil spring spacers in, I might as well use a new spring that eats up the entire height so spacers are not even needed. Not sure how much rear shocks will help all the clips on my leaf stacks are broken off, there is this mechanism connected to the driver side leaf I don't even know what it does but it's all frozen/locked up. I did not realize you could pressurize the rear shocks to your liking.

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 07-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Dodgeman1990
Rookie

In my case the new coil springs alone gave me a at least 2 inch boost to ride height. Then with the addition of the max control monotube performance shocks it have me another half an inch over the cheapo gas matics that I picked up. As for those clips that hold the leafs together, you can pick up universal clamps at autozone or advanced for relatively cheap. And if you clamp the overload spring to the rest of the leaf pack it will increase the spring rate by loading up on the overload spring thus stiffening up the leafs. Complement that with the air shocks and you will have a damn solid ride. But as for the spacers, start away from the ones that go between the coils. Those like to break. Their more meant for lighter cars with strut suspension.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Best place for spring dimensions is http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_s/1817.htm

They do have the Dakotas leaf spring dimensions, but IIRC they don't have the coil spring for our Dakotas listed. But give them a call, maybe take yours out get the dimensions and send them in and ask for a thicker coil what ever the V8's would have came with. I'm sure they do custom orders.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:57 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Wow 2" difference? I did not think coils compress but I suppose long enough with bad shocks somethings gotta take the weight right? The coil spacers I am talking about go on the top and or bottom not between the coils. For the front I planned on getting some KYB KG5470's (Gas-A-Just) $40 ea. plus now you mention it some new coil springs too...and while I am at it control arm bushings since mine are dry rotted. So if I got a helper leaf, what is great about air shocks over gas? I figured I would just get some KYB KG5472's (Gas-A-Just) shocks for the rear but they are not coil spring shocks...RockAuto used to list rear coil spring shocks for my truck but they are no longer listed.

I'm looking at almost $300 for new leafs from that company, do leafs wear over time like coil springs do?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Dodgeman1990
Rookie

Yeah, at 200k they start to sag. Lol. And seeing as how yours is 5 years older than mine it will most likely do exactly what your looking for. I also did the control arm bushings. Was a P.I.T.A. but with a small propane torch and a B.F.H. it went relatively quickly for not having a press. Well the uppers did. Couldn't get the lowers out to save my life. But they weren't bad so I left them in. As for air shocks vs those gas-a-justs I've never ran the kyb shocks but I don't too many good things. The air shocks are going to act like helper springs and give you a boost in spring rate depending on how much pressure you run in them. just last night I put on some new leaf Spring clamps and clamped the main pack to both ends of each overload spring and that alone got rid of almost all body sway thru fast corners (my 93 didn't come with a sway bar ... ) you can really feel the difference in the rear on takeoff. It doesn't squat anymore, its solid. And you mentioned about shocks with helper coil springs, monroe makes them and are called load adjusting. Only thing is that there not adjustable. Not really sure what kind of lift your going to get while empty, but they market them saying they add another 1200lbs of carrying capacity. the leaf springs, like any other chassis part will wear and begin to sag over time, but the overload spring doesn't see much action unless you make a habit of loading 1000lbs into the beds of our trucks, so unless you really want new leafs, go with the cheaper, more readily available leaf spring clamps. Ok I'm done rambling.
Chris

Old 07-15-2012, 01:02 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I'm only @ 76,000k haha my control arm bushings look like they will be fun to get out too:
Name:  IMG_8345.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  105.9 KB
Name:  IMG_8358.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  226.2 KB

Mine has no sway bar either but I plan on getting one because I have extensive body roll, I'm sure I can find a junker that had a tow package. Wait you say just the leaf bundle clamps alone make a huge difference on fast corners!?
Name:  IMG_0540.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0539.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  113.0 KB

Too bad those Monroe load adjusting shocks are $300 each for a first gen Dakota, they should make them for the front for a better ride. If I keep up on replacing the front shocks every so many years I won't experience spring sag in another 70K miles will I?

Old 07-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Dodgeman1990
Rookie

Wow... Good luck even getting the upper control arm off.... The load adjusting shocks (monroe 58613) are $130 a pair thru APW. They don't sell them individually. Same with the air shocks. The clamps do make one hell of a difference. Clamp them right where the OL spring sticks out and it will tighten it right up. regular shocks can only do so much for controlling how much a spring sags. So unless their bad there is no point in changing them out every so often, unless your upgrading or tring to fine tune your ride.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers are cheep. Amazon directly from Monroe is $90/pair
Amazon Amazon

Napa has them listed for $135/pair.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...613_0172882540

They even have air shocks for $89/pair
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...816_0210264444

Ebay has them for $100 with shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONROE-58613...f2ba00&vxp=mtr

They both can help a lot with a bad rear springs. They both are worth it to me. The air shocks are adjustable to where it is not always so stiff if needed. The coil overs can ride on the stiff side a bit when unloaded.

Quick Reply: 5.2L Coil & Leaf Spring Alternatives?