1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Weak Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:05 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb Weak Starter?

Ever since I've owned my 3.9L Dakota I have had to hold the starter for a few seconds to fire. But instead I usually give it a quick turn over, stop, then it always fires right up on the second quick turn over. I always thought of it as priming the engine on the first quick turn over (I don't like cranking-out my starter) I've heard other Dakotas fire in under a second right away, I only have 76K (1988) so I was thinking maybe my starter is getting weak? My dad replaced the starter in his Cherokee and he claims it starts faster now.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya possibly a weak starter or your loosing your fuel pressure through out the night so it takes the pump a little bit to build it back up. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see if you loose your prime through out the night.
There is a check valve on the fuel pump but you will have to replace the entire sending unit. Best option is to add in an universal check valve, I did a write up on installing one its in the FAQ.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I did the on/off thing 3 times then tried to start and I'll admit it cut the time in half but still a bit hesitant. Maybe that is as good as it gets, 6 months ago I put a brand new fuel pump in, brand new in line filter, new ignition coil, and a new pickup coil in the distributor. Even the gas lines were replaced a few years ago but not standard metal lines like the factory...my grandfather used flexible plastic oil line hose which supposedly exceeds the standards of gas line?

Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try turning it to the on position and wait 2 seconds then start, that should prime the fuel rail all by itself and then it should start first crank.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:59 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by marcar1993
Try turning it to the on position and wait 2 seconds then start, that should prime the fuel rail all by itself and then it should start first crank.
Does not help, also no fuel rail its TBI not EFI

Old 08-24-2012, 05:45 AM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tested the battery to see if its dropping voltage when you turn it over? The battery voltage should not drop more than 2 volts when turning it over or putting the battery under a load. If it drops more then it could be an issue with the battery and not the starter. Just make sure to test that before you buy a starter.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:36 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by JR318
Have you tested the battery to see if its dropping voltage when you turn it over? The battery voltage should not drop more than 2 volts when turning it over or putting the battery under a load. If it drops more then it could be an issue with the battery and not the starter. Just make sure to test that before you buy a starter.
Can I watch my battery gauge on the dash or do I need to have someone manually use a tester while I crank?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use a digital meter and connect it to battery and sit it up where you can see it from inside truck.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:35 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by JR318
Just use a digital meter and connect it to battery and sit it up where you can see it from inside truck.
I checked, I get (roughly) 12.5 with ignition on, bottoms out to 10ish on the start and idles around 13.5 when running. I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: Weak Starter?