1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94 Dakota DTC

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
94DakotaTom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Dakota DTC

I have been trying to figure out a no start on my fathers 94 dakota. it spit out 4 codes, 12,45,24,55.

So i replaced the TPS sensor for the code 24, yet it stiill shows a code 24 when i reset the battery. tried a back up pcm and same thing code 24 every time.

Now to the code 45...... i can not find the meaning of this code anywhere. My mitchel and alldata show nothing. how can this be?

And after a few times trying to start the car the pcm locks up or something because i get nothing, no check engine light when i turn the key on and no clicking from the relays.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is possible you got a bad new sensor, try taking it back for anther one. Or you may have a wiring problem.

For code 45.
45* Transmission OD solenoid circuit short or open condition detected

For your no start/no codes ect problem my best guess it is the notorious spices. Check the FAQ in this section, just a few posts above this one for a great write up on it.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM
94DakotaTom

i have already checked the splice for both power and ground under the relay box.
i replaced them both just to be sure, did nothing to help the no start. then the crank sensor was replaced. did not help either. So then my father noticed when he turned the key forward the Check Engine light was not turning on. So he thought it was a bad PCM, we swapped a used one in and still nothing.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

When I diagnose a no start condition I only look at codes as a last resort. Until I know a few things I'm going to ignore your codes because they may have nothing to do with your problem.

First you need to confirm few things.
1) Are you getting spark to the spark plug? Check more than one.
2) Do you have fuel pressure? Your '94 should be between 40 and 45 psi.
3) Do you have injector pulse? You need to see if your injectors are being commanded to open. You check this with a noid light. I don't recommend using a test light but you could in a pinch.
4) Do you have compression? You don't need a compression tester for this but it would help. When you turn it over does it sound even and consistent or does it sound like it has a high spot or it's freewheeling.

Until I know those things codes mean nothing to me, personally. Someone else might be able to help you with those codes and a no start but not me.

A.J.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
94DakotaTom

No spark
No fuel
No injector Pulse
Compression is 170ish all 6 cylinders

Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

What about fuel pressure? If that's a "no" also the step you need to do next is check that all your positives and grounds are correct to the computer. After that would be to check that your crank and cam sensors are sending the correct signal to the computer. Then see of your ASD relay is getting turned on by the computer.

A.J.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ 360 Dakota
What about fuel pressure? If that's a "no" also the step you need to do next is check that all your positives and grounds are correct to the computer. After that would be to check that your crank and cam sensors are sending the correct signal to the computer. Then see of your ASD relay is getting turned on by the computer.

A.J.
+1 to that.

Quick Reply: 94 Dakota DTC