1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota Weak spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Nathan Beardsley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota Weak spark

I have a 95 Dakota v6. The last few times i drove it, it bogged down when i got on the gas and did not want to go over 30mph. I parked it at work then when i went to leave it would turn over but not start. I bought plugs,wires,cap,and rotor and replaced the next day and it started right up. On my way taking it home it just died and will not start now. Gets fuel and spark is weak red. I replaced coil, crank position sensor, map sensor but still will not start. Wont even sputter when turned over even when pouring fuel or carb cleaner in. Please help?? Im going to check the splice later tonight but i believe its already been checked out (its been sitting for a while now)

Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Nathan Beardsley

Splice looks good. Could it have nothing to do with the spark. Maybe clogged exhaust or bad O2 sensor??

Old 11-15-2012, 01:51 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If your pouring in gas in the throttle body it is possible you flooded it depending on how much you poured and that may be one reason it won't start. Flooring the throttle while cranking will help with a flooding issue.

My next guess the ignition, not enough spark or the timing is off. Bad plugs or wires or cap and rotor.

I will move this to the 1st generation Dakota sub-forum.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:37 PM
maxxheadroom
Amateur

I would also be suspicious of a bad ground, make sure all your grounds are good and clean, also check the main plug to your ECM they are known to get corroded and can cause issues. Also mine was acting similar when I bought it, after I got it running (I had to replace EVERY wire from the front bumper to the firewall) I replaced all of them except the wires to the coil. My truck would run poorly, weak spark, randomly die. That wire had cracked insulation causing my issue, replaced that wire and it has run like a champ for 3 years!

Old 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Vinny- collins

Not sure if this is of any help I have a 95 Dakota 3.9 4x4 auto it runs strong but after the truck was ran and was hot if shut of it wouldn't start for a few hours or so my problem was when my dad took the truck to have the engine replaced the guys that did were complete jack asses the didn't put wire loom on anything it was a mess I could have tought a monkey to do it better but anyways there was a few wires laying between the intake manifold and the valve covers so I put wire loom on them and got them off the engine and haven't had a problem out of it since

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Vinny- collins

So i assumed it was getting hot and grounding it self out but like I said I'm not sure if this is of any help but I figured it was something to look in to

Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 PM
moparnut38
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure all you spark plug wires are not touching the motor and or pinched between something.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Angus14

It appears to be you have a poor bad grounds on the motor, try to pass the ground from the battery negative to the engine block and body.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota Weak spark