1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Next motor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:43 AM
keilkravec
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next motor.

Turns out the R/T motor I got was pretty bad, resold the whole package of the 99' for more than I bought it for, so atleast no losses. My truck being a 93' and there being a severe lack of usable V8's or those years in my area, how hard would it be to switch my return fuel system over to the non-return 94' system? Would it just be a matter if capping off my return line and getting the right fuel rail?

Will be using the mopar pcm so that shouldn't be a problem in using the 94' ram unit.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:44 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the rest of the engine is the same all you need is your return style fuel rail off the current engine.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Missed the question a bit there...

I am looking to get rid of the return line to make life easier since I cannot find a year matching motor or the return rail for the V8. What all do I need to change to go to the returnless system used in the 94' up trucks

Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM
DakotaRT1993
Professional

I guess the correct way to do that would be to buy a fuel pump/sending unit for a '94 system and just delete the line with the appropriate fuel rail that should come with the engine. Check and make sure the electrical connector is the same or will at least work with what you already have as well.

Or you could try capping it off, but IDK if that will cause any issues with the pump.

Last edited by DakotaRT1993; 11-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by keilkravec
Missed the question a bit there...

I am looking to get rid of the return line to make life easier since I cannot find a year matching motor or the return rail for the V8. What all do I need to change to go to the returnless system used in the 94' up trucks
no I don't think I did (but maybe) I thought you had the return fuel line setup already and just needed an engine.
Youd need the returnless style fuel pump, the tanks are the same... and teh same pump fits a 15 gallon or a 22 gallon tank;
I have a 93 (return style) and a 94 (returnless) Dakota; I pulled a 15 gallon tank from the 94 and put a 22 gallon tank from a 93 into it (truck in junkyard) for a better range between fuel stops; my original 94 pump went right into that tank!
At the time, I didnt know that I would end up with a 93 of my own or I'd have kept that fuel pump that came out of that JY tank for a spare!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

Well at the moment my fuel system is return-style 93' factory. I'm guessing there is a difference in the pressure on the returnless? That is one thing that did catch my eye at the pick yard, 2 of the daks I pulled parts off of were a 95 and 96' both with exposed tanks with pumps reading that they were only for 95-96 trucks.

Quick Reply: Next motor.