1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Short somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:26 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Short somewhere

The other night I realized my drivers front marker light flickers on and off with movement in the wiring harness. I figured, ok, I'll put in a new socket, probably a bad connection at the socket. Well last night I fired up the truck and got to the end of the block, hit the brakes and the horn went of. Every time I hit the brakes the horn blows. I just got out and disconnected it since it was dark cold and snowing and I was going somewhere. Any ideas on this fun one!?

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 AM
WRXCarl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure someone didn't just happen to mess with you that same night by connecting the horn too the brake pedal? Cause honestly that's got to be one of my favorites.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:04 AM
marcar1993
Captain

Yanno the thought occurred for a second when a friend (who was with me so he didn't do it) mentioned it, however, how exactly would someone go about doing that inconspicuously? There are no random wires askew. Everything looks like its where it belongs.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM
bran1har
Rookie

Definetly sounds like a ground problem. Check all your ground connections for corrosion and do a test. Actually theres a new video on youtube about testing for this kind of stuff.:
. Give it a shot because if nothing has changed or nothing looks a skew, nothing probably is a skew, but a ground could be. Tell me what you find out, id be curious.

Heres a link to download, for free, the service manual for your truck, just choose the year. Look at the wiring diagrams at the end to see where all of the ground points are at. If the manual you download wont bring up the wiring diagram section, just click the 96 year, it is for sure complete. Really testing for voltage drop is the big thing to look for. Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
marcar1993
Captain

Well that night when this all happened, I was at the end of my street with a flashlight pissed off at 2am in the freezing cold. I found nothing obvious so I yanked the horn wire off and drove off. A little while later in daylight I came out and saw a wire dangling under the frame, then connected the dots. I know who did this, someone did mess with me. Now I wonder how funny it will be when he goes to get into his truck and the driveshaft is in the bed...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 AM
WRXCarl
Professional

hahahahaha So I was right. Sounds like you have a good plan to get him back.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can get in his truck, run a hose from his washer pump inside the cab and wire the pump to his brake lights. I did that to a guy once (except I didn't change any wiring, I just left it so when he hit the washer he got sprayed) and it was pretty funny (to me, at least).

Old 01-03-2013, 02:54 PM
marcar1993
Captain

^Good one, but idk if he'll use the washer or if it works! He drives a ford.

Quick Reply: Short somewhere