1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96' Complete Overhaul - any advice before I start?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Dodge_girl1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96' Complete Overhaul - any advice before I start?????

Hey everyone,

I'm about to do a complete overhaul on a 96 Dodge Dakota 5.2 V8 which has been sitting, buried half way up the rims in sand for the last two years. After I clean everything and change all the fluids, I'm going to do an automatic to manual swap (NV3500). Any tips or advice before I start? Thanks

Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodge_girl1
I'm going to do an automatic to manual swap (NV3500). Any tips or advice before I start? Thanks
Unless you're attached to this particular truck for some reason, or you enjoy doing the work, or you're looking for the experience, you'll probably come out ahead if you clean it up, sell it, and buy the one you want (manual trans.).

If you still want to do the swap, my advice is to acquire a complete donor vehicle with an NV3500 so you can be sure you have all the parts you need. It will save you lots of headaches running around looking for parts. The swap itself shouldn't really be too difficult, but I'm not certain what you'll have to do to keep the check engine light from coming on.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:57 PM
JunkYard5_2
Amateur

I agree that you would be better off finding a truck thats already manual or a complete donor vehicle. Something with a blown motor or a truck that has light front end damage. Other than that you will need a trans, V8 flywheel and hardware, pilot bearing, clutch kit, pedal assembly with the neutral switch, master cylinder and slave cylinder and all corresponding hydraulic lines, throw out bearing, shift fork, manual trans computer, shifter assembly and trim for the inside (unless you dont mind a gaping hole in the floor), the correct driveshaft (including slip yoke), manual trans crossmember and trans mount. Thats all off the top of my head so I may have missed something but it will at least give you an idea. With that being said, Good luck with your search for a Dakota NV3500 and a computer in the junk yard. They seem to be some what of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. I got lucky and found an NV3500 in an '02 Dak that originally came out of a 95. With my truck being a 95 with OBD1, it opened up a few more options as far as the the engine computer goes and Im actually running a computer from a 94 Ram with an auto. A new input shaft, bearings, rings, seals and $740 on top of the $300 i paid for the unit later and i have a decently solid trans for almost the cost of a remaned unit. You could run an AX15 for the time being until you find a good NV3500 but mine only lasted 3 months behind the mostly stock 5.2 I put in my truck. Now that I've started putting some power adders on the motor, theres no way the AX15 would survive. Im sure if you were nice to it, it would last longer but lets face it... theres no way you can drive a 5-speed V8 Dakota and not have some fun!

Last edited by JunkYard5_2; 02-11-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

Buried in sand, as in beach sand? With salt? If so, take my advice and scrap it and look for the one you want.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Here is a great auto to manual swap thread. Being a 96 year you might need a manual transmission pcm.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-5-2l-4x4.html

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 02-12-2013 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM
Dodge_girl1

I found a donor truck in the local U pull & Pay...finding the NV3500 is another story...Shouldn't I buy the the Clutch Plate kit, cables, etc new anyway?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:43 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

dont for get the ZDDplus on the cam and in the oil. eles you loose the cam. break in at 1500-2000 rpm for 10-15 min.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM
bran1har
Rookie

For the manual I think you need a different crossmember that the trans mounts on. It just in bolts and you can take it off a truck with a manual trans already. If you want a manual, buy a truck with a manual, I personally dont think it's worth the effort.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

NO DIFFERENT CROSS MEMBER NEEDED! Just the mount! I just did this very swap on my 93....

depending on what the cost of the trans flywheel and pedals it may well be worth it;
the costliest with mine was having the front section of driveshaft lengthened and balanced (2 pc driveshaft, back section didnt hafta be touched--- wouldnt want to anyway or mount location for carrier bearing wouldnt be in stock location) but they balanced both halves together replaced the U joints with Spicer greasable ones (US made and best U joints you can buy) as well as that carrier bearing. next most was the clutch kit NV 3500 is 5-1/2" shorter than the auto (either auto is same length I have one of each here) that 5-1/2 is the amount I needed driveshaft lengthened by; mine is a 2WD clubcab

IF prices are right on truck and parts it may be VERY worthwhile; I got my truck w/bad trans for $500 I had the trans here already (so no cost there) all total incl tuneup rear brakes and 4 new tires I have <$2K in mine and know exactly the condition and "what's been done" to it I cant buy a truck that I KNOW the history of and KNOW I wont have to do anything to for the forseeable future that cheap;
and I am one that could care less about bluebook I drive my vehicles into the ground anyway before I am done with them, and sometimes revive them once again;
I make sure they are "done" and "used up" before I part with them.
Yes I used an NV 3500 (I had both an AX 15 and the NV3500 here at one time)
And so far 14K miles since, climbing fast is my daily driver. Dependable so far and 20 MPG on the highway.... could squeak a bit more out if I slowed down ~5MPH and kept it steady there, I like cruising 70-75.
one advantage vs an A/T is that I now KNOW if I put it in OD it's in OD, dont always have that with our particular A/Ts

Quick Reply: 96' Complete Overhaul - any advice before I start?????