1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Best HID Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 PM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best HID Kit

Hey guys I have searched the forum to try and find some information on the different HID kits for my truck and have had no luck. I want a kit that will work both high and low beams. I know there are a ton of different kits out there but would like to know which ones have been tried and trued by you guys. As we all know our headlights suck on our trucks and im looking to get the brightest possible and will go with the whitest possible and thinking that's around the 5K mark. Right now I'm using the silverstar ultra bulbs and also used the Mothers Powerball headlight restore kit to clear my lens up. The kit does work I must say. The lens on my truck were very yellow and foggy but now I can actually read the numbers and letters off the bulb inside the housing. I will still be buying new housings for the HID's because the adjuster's on the ones I have now are messed up and cant adjust them properly. Everyone please feel free to comment on what HID kit you think would be best even if you haven't installed them but have talked to others about them.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 PM
inuchan187
Professional

Find housings that are made for HID bulbs. the housing could melt with HIDs and in stock housings they create a LOT of glare for other drivers. i'm pretty sure the truck has the same headlight as a bunch of older trucks, so there might be a universal light with both low and hi beams.

I have a set of tractor floodlights as fog lights and they are brighter than the high beams, so i just leave them on.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 PM
JR318
Veteran

From the research that I have done the lens will not melt. Im almost sure there are not any housings made for the HID lighting for our trucks. I know I will be going with the 55w 5k Bi Xenon with AC ballast. Just would like to know what the best brand is to buy. I will install them into the old housings first before I install the new housings just to make sure everything will be ok.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:48 PM
cd36
Professional

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/w...usings-569983/

Please do not just throw HID lights in a stock housing, you'll blind all on comming traffic. The stock housing is not designed for HID lights at all.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM
JR318
Veteran

I found a manufacturer that will do what they call capping the hid. Its supposed to eliminate all the glare and distortion. I will post a link after I get home.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
JR318
Veteran

Here is a link to the bulb capping I was referring to. http://retro-solutions.net/product-i...ng-pid628.html

Old 03-11-2013, 11:44 PM
inuchan187
Professional

The glare is mainly from the housing itself. Capping the light won't help much.

Read this thread. If you are half decent with a dremel tool, you could do this. With HIDs, you will not need high beams.

http://qcaautoforums.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=builds&action=display&thread=12939

For the sake of other drivers, PLEASE realign your headlights properly no matter how you put the HIDs in.

Last edited by inuchan187; 03-11-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:10 AM
JR318
Veteran

I read that article but im not interested in the projection lights. I think they dont look right on our body style. Im looking for super bright lights from my headlights and at this point HID is the only way to go to achieve that.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 AM
inuchan187
Professional

Just a warning, other drivers will high beam you constantly and depending on the area, cops will give you a ticket. Around me, city cops don't really care, but in small towns people are pulled over constantly for illegal headlights.

Any reason why you don't want to just get a good set of driving lights? 3x5 lights fit perfectly in the grille or could be mounted flush in the plastic part of the bumper and they will provide more light than HIDs in the stock housing.
And would be a lot cheaper than $250 for an HID kit.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 AM
daksnbeers
Professional

Originally Posted by inuchan187
Just a warning, other drivers will high beam you constantly and depending on the area, cops will give you a ticket. Around me, city cops don't really care, but in small towns people are pulled over constantly for illegal headlights.
I got into an argument with a friend on him putting hids in his stock housings on his honda (go figure huh?) I told him how much it iritates the hell out of me to have one of those people in oncoming traffic. I also tried to tell him it's illegal but he insisted it's not. Ahh the joys of being a teen.

Anyway yes I agree find a good set of fog lights to mount on the plastic thing unerneath your bumper Don't know what you would call it on these trucks but I've always thought of jeremy clarkson from top gear bbc saying "wind splitter" lol. Or you can always mount begind your grill. Just be careful if you choose to mount it behind your grill I'd guess you would drill holes in the core support lets not make a radiator leak. Or if you go for the "windsplitter" you can uttilize stock bumper mounts if you can get them to angle right.