1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Brake and ABS light on

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 PM
Gary Neal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake and ABS light on

I posted a long thread but the forum logged me out. Arrgh... Now testing to see if this will post.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 PM
Gary Neal
Default Real issue

Okay, good. Now that I know I won't lose this message (like I lost the last 'lengthy' one) I can go ahead with the main reason for this thread.

I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota that I bought brand new and have owned since. It has been reliable up until recently. A few things have been going out on it but I won't elaborate on that since I do not have much time.

Recently, the brake pedal began feeling real soft and put up barely any resistance when braking. Then not too long after that the brake and ABS lights would remain on after starting the truck. I checked the fluid reservoir and found that it had plenty of brake fluid. Then I checked the two master cylinder reservoirs and found the front most one was low (practically empty). I then filled it back up but the problem with the brake and ABS lights as well as the pedal softness did not go away.

I checked for leaks but found none, at least as far as I can tell. Of course, I may not know where to look and I only checked the front and rear brakes on the drivers side so far. I had problems with the drivers front side over the last year that has so far required me to get the tie rod and left lower ball joint replaced.

I also replaced the pads on both front brakes and find that the driver's front side squeaks a lot during breaking and sometimes while I am driving (which goes away when I press the brakes). I am concerned that there are other things wrong with the left front wheel as I am having other issues as well.

Can anyone give me an idea what this problem may be? I am concerned that the master cylinder may be bad but I am willing to get it replaced if that is the case. I am just not sure and I would hate to spend a lot of money replacing otherwise good parts. Since it seemed like all the fluid leaked out the front reservoir I am thinking that I should probably bleed the brakes as well.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be and/or any advice on what I should check? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM
keilkravec
Veteran

does the front of the MC look like its had fluid running down it? could be the caps are leaking, mine did for a short stint till i got some from the pull yard.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM
moparnut38
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well if the front res. was almost dry that means you more than likely have a leak in the rear. The front res. is for the rear brakes and the rear res. is for the front brakes. If you see no fluid on the ground your rear wheel cylinders might be leaking inside the drums. And yes if it was that low you will have to bleed the brakes as there is air in the lines. That will cos the brake light and anti. brakes light too stay on and give you a soft brake pedal.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM
Gary Neal
Default Thanks so far

does the front of the MC look like its had fluid running down it?
Checked it and no, no fluid running down it.

well if the front res. was almost dry that means you more than likely have a leak in the rear.
That was what I was thinking too but I never got further than taking the wheel off on the driver's rear. I will do a more thorough examination of both rear brakes to confirm this. No fluid outside so probably a leak inside the drum.

Thanks for the help so far, hopefully I will find the problem. Oh and I see that this may not be the best place for a topic like this. I apologise (new here), I will be more careful about that in the future.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:43 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, my '93 lost its fluid a couple of years ago, no pedal at all! I filled the master cylinder with brake fluid, and it was good! Go figure. But - I put it in the shop to have front end work done and told the guy to check the rear brakes since I had already done the front myself, and he had to replace the rear wheel cylinders, brake lines and rear brakes. Man, that thing stops great now, even though I wasn't really having brake problems when I took it in, just wanted the rear checked since they were ORIGINAL! All is good, except the rear squeaks now a bit when I come to a stop.

I say check your rear wheel cylinders. Apparently they can leak and you hardly know it.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional

Here is how I fixed my squishy brake/abs light issue.
Replace all four breaks, complete rebuild.
Replace all the fluid.
Fix the E brake.
Replace the rear ABS sensor.
Replace the master cylinder.
Replace the booster.
Replace the front ABS sensor with a used one because no one makes a new replacement.
Replace the Dakota (just kidding)

Breaks work great and no squishy pedal or lights.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:40 PM
jimbennett55
Angry brake light /abs on

I ahve a 96 dakota and the break light /abs warning is on . there is no abs in my truck anyways so there is no relay........... but i have also lost all my main lights back and front and dashboard also my horn wont work either. i have checked the fuse and light switch.....both are fine. anyone any ideas please??

Quick Reply: Brake and ABS light on