1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

P0171 - Engine Shaking/Low Power on 4 Cyl on 96 Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 AM
BattlePig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0171 - Engine Shaking/Low Power on 4 Cyl on 96 Dakota.

I've got an Inline 4 Cylinder on my 96 Dakota, it's been gradually losing power since I got it 2 weeks ago. What is was doing was the engine would shake forward and backwards alot in high rev second gear, the power waned down to such a low point that I couldn't even get it started on a greater than 60 degree slant on any gear and it couldn't get over 20 mph at any respectable hill. It had to be overrevved to switch into gear or else it would die to due to lack of power from the engine.

I got diagnostic and it stated P0171 for the engine problem. Bank One is running Lean.

Causes for this are a defective Oxygen Sensor, an ignition misfire-repair or a fuel injector problem.

I have since done some work on it. I discovered one of the SP wires was bad and one of the spark plugs in terrible shape. I swapped all wires and all sparks.

It is now running stronger, can get up to 30mph on a hill and can engage on a sharp hill, but is still severely underpowered at high rev and still shakes but about half as much as before. I am running fuel injector cleaner through it as we speak.

Do you all think that the remaining issue is fuel injector related, or something else...maybe Dakota specific? The truck has 108,000 miles and the Spark Plug was literally rusting, so I figure if that had decayed to such a point then any part of it could have been neglected as much.

Any input appreciated...Thx Guys!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:40 AM
DakotaRT1993
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of sounds like a clogged catalytic converter the way it will not get over a certain speed. That could be caused by a faulty oxygen sensor.

Quick Reply: P0171 - Engine Shaking/Low Power on 4 Cyl on 96 Dakota.