1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Where'd my CAD go?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 PM
axmking
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where'd my CAD go?

I don't care how dumb you say I am. Been googling for waay too long and stared at that Walt Ingrid website as well as this stupid Haynes I bought (haha so helpful with so little)

It's a 93 dakota 5.2 auto

I stare at the front axle passenger side and keep hoping it will appear but it's a solid cast steel block with one nipple coming off with a hose capped off

Last edited by axmking; 04-02-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
cd36
Professional

Was yours built late in the year? In 1994 they dropped the CAD, so I wonder if your 1993 was built late maybe they already switched, it happens.

That hose will be your diff vent. If you look on top of your transfer case the switch should have some wires coming out of it to turn on your 4wd light. Are you having 4x4 issues?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
axmking

It was built in October of 92.
I am having 4wd issues, the front axle will lock and drive when in 4 wheel but its not engaging in the front diff. Even the light works but still only one wheelie wonder. The only thing that turned me away from that hose when diagnosing it was the brand stamp on the cap matching that of other factory plastic components

Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
cd36
Professional

If your CAD wasn't locking up then you wouldn't have any wheels turning on the front. The front is just an open diff so with one axle disconnected it would always just spin the shaft going from the diff to the CAD. Considering you also don't have a CAD motor,your front axles will always be connected. The switch in the transfer case is purely for the light.

Since your front diff is open, if you get stuck while in RWD and one of your front tires has absolutely no traction at all (say it was in the air) the front tire with no traction will just spin. If that is what is happening when you say it is a one wheel wonder,well then it is working fine.

When in 4x4 with two open diffs it is possible to have just two tires (one front one rear) spinning and be stuck. If this is a situation you get into often you'll need to look into LSDs or lockers.

Last edited by cd36; 04-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:21 PM
axmking

Ok I know how a differential works. And I get that the light is purely indication. All I'm trying to find out is if this doesn't use the cad system what does it use to engage the front axle? Shifting fork in the diff? Or some invisible electronic actuator?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You don't have a CAD 94-up didn't come with them, so someone probably swapped it out at one time. So your front axle is always connected even it 2wd. The transfer case disconnects the power from the transfer case to the driveshaft.

If your getting the light indicating the 4wd is engaged and the front axle is not under power then you have a problem inside the axle or inside the transfer case, where something is broken or missing.

If I were you I would start by lifting up the front axle, get both tires in the air. In 2wd turn them by hand see what moves and what doesn't. By turning 1 wheel you should be able to get the other wheel to turn or the driveshaft. Then engage 4wd, now the driveshaft should be locked down. Then spin the wheels again and see what does and doesn't move. If the driveshaft still spins then the transfer case is not fully engaged in 4wd. Something would be damaged, or missing or maybe the selector rod needs adjusting.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM
cd36
Professional

Originally Posted by axmking
Ok I know how a differential works. And I get that the light is purely indication. All I'm trying to find out is if this doesn't use the cad system what does it use to engage the front axle? Shifting fork in the diff? Or some invisible electronic actuator?
Your front axle is always locked up as crazy said. There is nothing to lock up the front diff.

Can you please explain what the issue is that you are having? Are you saying when in 4x4 only one wheel total spins (rear), or are you saying that only one front wheel will spin? I really wasn't sure what issue you are having.

If you are unable to get 4x4 working, do as Crazy said, because something is wrong between your transfer case and diff.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
axmking

I'm saying the rear is working fine. But when in 4 wheel no front wheel receives power. If in 4 and jacked up in park, I can't turn either the front or rear driveline as normal, but both front wheels free spin (if I had a normal cad system it's as if the shift collar wasn't moved over)

Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
cd36
Professional

Well the next step will be to open up your front diff and take a look inside.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put T-case in 4wd, jack up ONE front tire, attempt to rotate tire. If the tire doesn't rotate, everything is fine. If the tire rotates and the driveshaft doesn't, something is awry in the diff. If the driveshaft rotates, something is awry in the T-case.