1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New owner of a 94 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Ralphis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of a 94 Dakota

Hi guys,

Just bought a 94 Dakota SLT for a work truck. I can see that it wasn't well maintained at the end of its life but I've done my best to do some general fixes. Right now, I have a few general questions that I hope you can answer:

1) The wooden bezel around the cluster and radio is totally destroyed and I'd like to replace it. Are the dimensions the same for all 1st gens?

2) The driver side door does not open from the outside. I knew this when buying it figuring it would be an easy fix, but once I opened the panel up it seems that whoever had this tried fixing it themselves and failed miserably. What's worse is that the rod that connects the latch to the outside door is missing (along with the clips). I guess my only option here is to go to a junk yard and buy a whole new latch with the new rods? (The lock and inside handle rod work fine).

3) When I bought this truck a few weeks ago it was still cold out and I found out quickly that the heater doesn't really work. The floor isn't wet and while I know that isn't a sure fire indicator, I think the heater core may still be good. The truck runs at a comfortable temperature. Any thoughts?

EDIT: 4) Oh yea, one more thing. Occasionally, my check engine light will come on while I'm driving and disappear after turning the engine off. Will this still show in the key cycle diagnostic? If I've done it correctly, it seems like I get an error of 12.

SECOND EDIT: 5) I took the bezel and cluster glass off. I removed the 4 torx screws from the cluster but am unsure of how to disconnect it from the truck. Is there a diagram or video of someone doing this? I know on my chevy it just sits right in the dash so you just pull it out - that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Thanks in advance for any help. Glad to have found this forum and giving this truck some TLC.

Last edited by Ralphis; 04-30-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added another question
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 PM
bran1har
Rookie

#1, yes they are all the same
#2 good idea, just get another from the salvage yard
#3 had same problem when i bought mine, flush the heater core, disconnect the two heater hoses and use a garden hose to flush them both ways
#4 not too sure
#5 there is a service manual avaible for free download on this forum. Go to the main 1st gen forum page and at the top you will see a sticky thread (the second one) where you can go ahead and the info on removing it in there.

let me know any questions

Old 04-30-2013, 09:17 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to get the instrument cluster out you have to reach around behind it and unplug the speedo cable and wire connectors. and welcome to df!

Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM
matteusclement
Rookie

As per your heater core...
I flushed mine which requires picking up a 5/8" (i think) hose adapter and running water through one way and then the other. You repeat that 3 times.
Then I ran a prestone rad cleaner through the whole system (you keep it in for 2 day or "8 hours of running") then flush the whole system. Now I could cook off my inside heat.

Quick Reply: New owner of a 94 Dakota