1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

radio won't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 AM
MicahGolden
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio won't work

i have a new radio and i think its the speakers but not for sure. i bought new fuses for it and still won't work and everything is hook up how they should

Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull it apart make sure every thing is plugged in and you're grounded correctly. Get a test light and check if you have power coming from the constant and the ignition. Did it ever work at first? I know mine worked for under a min until I blew the fuse under the hood.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MicahGolden
i have a new radio and i think its the speakers but not for sure. i bought new fuses for it and still won't work and everything is hook up how they should
Do you see the lights come on when you turn on the radio? No light usually means no power. Does this new radio have an adapter plug/harness? These normally make life a lot easier than cutting the OEM wiring and using a bunch of butt connectors - you can get poor connections with the crimp-on connectors unless you're careful. You also haven't mentioned whether you've done any testing for power to the radio. I usually recommend having a multi-meter available and a wiring diagram showing the OEM wiring as well as the installation diagram showing the necessary wiring connections for the new radio. Normally, on a radio, you have a power source that's can be turned on and off, and one that's always hot. The "always hot" connection is for the radio functions that need to "remember" things, while the on/off connection is controlled from the ignition key switch and will turn the radio off when you turn the key to OFF. Make sure that you get +12 on both wires and that you have them connected to the respective points on the radio. Also, make sure that you have a really good ground connection to the radio. If you have the adapter harness, use the multi-meter to check for these 2 voltage wires while using the ground wire that's part of that harness.

You also don't mention how you have the speakers hooked up. If you're using the adapter harness, you can do some continuity checking to make sure the hookup is good and if you're using new wire, again, you need to do some checking, but more information of your whole hookup is needed to give you any meaningful feedback.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Don't forget if it's the Infinity sound system, you need to make sure the amplifier is turning on or that you have bypassed the amp.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM
shop.squadworks
Amateur

Originally Posted by BKCowGod
Don't forget if it's the Infinity sound system, you need to make sure the amplifier is turning on or that you have bypassed the amp.
Yep, I believe its the blue wire that turns on the infinity amp. My 02 Ram had that issue.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
caleb0714

Originally Posted by BKCowGod
how do you bypass the amp?

Old 05-17-2013, 11:54 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

Originally Posted by caleb0714
how do you bypass the amp?
If you run new wires directly to the speakers, then you have bypassed the amplifier. The Infinity system uses a small external amp to power the speakers. I am not sure on the location - I chose to keep it.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your deck get power ? If so one of your speakers probably fell out of its housing and now the magnet is stuck to the door or some thing. This happened to me no speakers will work although all I did was punch the door and I got a second of music and then I figured out why

Old 07-06-2013, 09:21 PM
MicahGolden
Default battery

ok i think there is something worng with my battery. i have some power but it was working earlier in the day. and it won't start back up. i do think there is something wrong with my battery

Quick Reply: radio won't work