1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Switching from EFI to Carb 1993

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 PM
dylanjones486
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from EFI to Carb 1993

Hey guys this is my first time posting. I recently got a 1993 dakota and at the moment my 318 engine leaks anti freeze and it mixes with the oil. So I got a carb 318 engine im putting in tomorrow. The only problem im worried about is it being a automatic transmission. Could you let me know what I need to make this switch successful as possible. Thanks ahead of time. It is a EFI at the moment.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:48 AM
cd36
Professional

If you got a carb engine it will be an LA block. I think they changed the motor mounts when they went to Magnum engines (your 1993 will be a Magnum engine), so I'm not sure if an LA block will drop in in place of a Magnum engine. Plus there were alot of upgrades done to the Magnum engines as well.

When they went to the Magnum engines they kept the old LA block motor mount locations, so you could put a Magnum engine in place of an LA engine, but I don't think you could do the other way around without alot of work.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All LA's have the Magnum engine mount boss's. Some have them drilled, some have them drilled and tapped some just simply have the raised boss. So it might be a bolt it might not, you will just have to look at your block. But just so you know that LA will probably be putting out the same if not lower HP then the V6 Magnum. Your going to loose a considerable amount of power as well as loose some MPG's. Just swap in another V8 Magnum, now days they are plentiful in the junkyards.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
All LA's have the Magnum engine mount boss's. Some have them drilled, some have them drilled and tapped some just simply have the raised boss. So it might be a bolt it might not, you will just have to look at your block. But just so you know that LA will probably be putting out the same if not lower HP then the V6 Magnum. Your going to loose a considerable amount of power as well as loose some MPG's. Just swap in another V8 Magnum, now days they are plentiful in the junkyards.
He said he's already got the old LA engine, so he may be at least emotionally committed to using it.

That said, the original poster could probably sell the LA engine on Craigslist and then source a Magnum. And you're right, they are fairly easy to find in the yards and on various location on Craigslist. Not only would it be an easier drop in than an LA, but he could get a 5.9 (360 cid) and get a power and displacement bump. My impression, here in S. Az., is that the 5.9's are easier to find than low mileage 5.2's.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:08 AM
dodger8691
Professional

or do a 360 swap if he is willing to do that much work to switch to carb

Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 AM
BKCowGod
Professional

I don't know of any good reason to switch to a carb. Lower mileage, more maintenance, way less power, hates altitude changes, hates angles and cold weather. Unless the Magnum has a cracked block, anything else should be fixable.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Kinda feels like our original poster asked the question and didn't like the answers.

It's okay, we unnerstan'.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

We have that effect on people, it seems...

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 AM
T.C.
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel that it might be easier for some to swap over to carb, easier to play with the fuel mixture and tune. When trying to play with the fuel mixture/timing is quite difficult when dealing with OBDI system "I tried with manually tuning it and taking it to the dealer ship for 200 bucks a tune and test it adds up quite a bit." Tuned it three times so far. and For your own tuner/tester is about 5000 here in canada. which is about 20 times more then I payed for the truck itself. Though that is my opinion and I could easily be wrong.

Though just a thought would it be possibly to change an OBDII 5.2L/5.9L to carb? Is it basically the smae as swapping OBDI to Carb. carb, fuel pump, intake manifold?

Old 07-04-2013, 12:33 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

It is also easier to take pictures with a polaroid camera... But that doesn't mean it's better. Fuel injection is 99% of the time more efficient, more reliable, and more powerful than a carb.

Also - the OBD1 fuel/timing system in our trucks isn't user (or dealer) adjustable. It's a Flash ROM that can't accept any modifications. Sounds to me like you paid a dealer $600 for nothing if they said they were "tuning your fuel mixture/timing"

Quick Reply: Switching from EFI to Carb 1993