1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

PCM Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 PM
cd36
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speedo is cable operated.

If you are looking to get that kind of power out of it you'll probably have to go MP PCM or to something like a megasquirt, I doubt the stock PCM could handle an engine with a radical cam, stroked, etc.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Originally Posted by robertmee
Stock converter also? I'll probably run a higher stall converter and 4:10 gears eventually mated with the 400 HP crate 360. I'm still concerned that the injectors/flow curve combo won't be sufficient since the stock was around 260 HP, so I assume I'll need a tune/flash of the PCM anyway. That's why I was wondering if the 5.2 PCM could just be reflashed.

Do you know if gear changes are handled in the PCM of this era for correct speedo operation?
I'm running the stock converter.

If you plan on getting the 400 HP that that engine is capable of, you're going to have to go carb or stand-alone fuel management system. That stock PCM is not flashable, yet. There is a guy over on Turbo-Mopar.com that has cracked the code on the late 80's early 90's Chrysler SMECs and SBECs and they are now tunable (I'm running an '89 SMEC on my '04 2.4 SRT-4 turbo engine in my '88 Caravan). I asked him about the 92-95 V-8 PCMs and he said he's working on it. That's why I went with the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and return system for my 5.9 '94 Dakota. Upping the fuel pressure is an old school "add more fuel for more boost" trick.

I doubt the PCM cares what gears are in it. It's looking at MAP, TPS, and O2 for fuel management. If you step on the gas harder because you're running lower gears, it just compensates, except when you up the engine displacement. It can't compensate that much.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the Mopar Performance PCM...Still going to run out of gas, so to speak?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cd36
Speedo is cable operated.

If you are looking to get that kind of power out of it you'll probably have to go MP PCM or to something like a megasquirt, I doubt the stock PCM could handle an engine with a radical cam, stroked, etc.
Yes, sorry...that's the plan, using the Mopar Performance PCM, if there's no readily available flash alternatives.

Or, gasp, go carburated. Funny, my initial plan was to go carburated...The crate motor has an M1 intake with a 750 Edelbrock carb on it already. But I was talked out of carb and into MPI by some members on the board. I'm used to ODBII tuning or at least ODBI with a large support network of tunes (my Grand National for example), so now I'm realizing the lack of options on pre-96 dakotas for tuning.

Last edited by robertmee; 08-29-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Yes, sorry...that's the plan, using the Mopar Performance PCM, if there's no readily available flash alternatives.

Or, gasp, go carburatated. Funny, my initial plan was to go carburated...The crate motor has an M1 intake with a 750 Edelbrock carb on it already. But I was talked out of carb and into MPI by some members on the board. I'm used to ODBII tuning or at least ODBI with a large support network of tunes (my Grand National for example), so now I'm realizing the lack of options on pre-96 dakotas for tuning.
You might pick up 10-20 HP using the MP PCM. I doubt you're going to get anywhere near 400 HP.

Another option would be to use a '96 OBDII PCM and wiring harness. I'm not familiar with them so I don't know how tunable they are.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:14 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by AZ 360 Dakota
You might pick up 10-20 HP using the MP PCM. I doubt you're going to get anywhere near 400 HP.

Another option would be to use a '96 OBDII PCM and wiring harness. I'm not familiar with them so I don't know how tunable they are.
Well, that's disappointing....

Back to square 1 and carburation

Or is this an option: http://www.bgperformance.com/tuning-magnum-truck.aspx

Last edited by robertmee; 08-29-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 PM
cd36
Professional

Look into megasquirt stand alone fuel management ive never used it but heard good things.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by cd36
Look into megasquirt stand alone fuel management ive never used it but heard good things.
I did some reading, and honestly, it scared me

The website/support forum reminds me of the old MAME arcade emulators and building a MAME setup...Lots and lots to learn, and lots of ways to screw up

Old 08-29-2013, 09:11 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

Well, that's disappointing....

Back to square 1 and carburation
F that. I'd just as soon walk.

I did some reading, and honestly, it scared me

The website/support forum reminds me of the old MAME arcade emulators and building a MAME setup...Lots and lots to learn, and lots of ways to screw up
Tuning is well worth learning. There's lots of support out there and a lot of people willing to help. A couple of years ago I didn't know squat about tuning but now it's second nature. Once you get your tune down you leave it alone. With a carburetor, every time the weather changes you'll be messing with it.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM
cd36
Professional

I agree. I'd much higher rather deal with learning the megasquirt system over using a carb.

Quick Reply: PCM Question