1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

PCM Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
BG is your best option. They can customize the PCM to your engine specs.

Originally Posted by AZ 360 Dakota
Once you get your tune down you leave it alone. With a carburetor, every time the weather changes you'll be messing with it.
Agree!

Originally Posted by robertmee
Have been reading for couple of weeks and have read several of your posts on your 5.9 swap. I'm embarking on a crate Mopar 360/380HP drop into a 90 Dakota. I have a 95 5.2L donor Dakota for the harness, intake, fuel rail, etc. Will probably convert the 90 over to a returnless fuel system using all the goodies from the 95.

My question is on the ODBI PCM capabilities. I'll find a 5.9L 95 PCM, hopefully a Mopar Performance one. Is there any fuel/HP restrictions where the PCM tops out? Can it handle 400 to 450HP fuel delivery?

Secondly, if I change the stock 3.55 gears to 4.10, is the speedo through the PCM and if so, how to accomodate?

Thanks for your help!
I don't know what the Mopar HP PCM can handle but I know it can handle plenty once it has adjusted to your engine.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is on the ODBI PCM capabilities. I'll find a 5.9L 95 PCM, hopefully a Mopar Performance one. Is there any fuel/HP restrictions where the PCM tops out? Can it handle 400 to 450HP fuel delivery?
EFI EFI EFI - carburetors are for lawnmowers. That said, If you're still talking about using that 360 crate engine for your swap, that may change things. For a 300-400 HP Crate engine the stock injection setup, even the HP, is facing a tall order. I'm not saying it won't work, like Crazy I just don't know. AZ says the code is almost cracked, if so, the options/capabilities should definitely open up.

If you're going crate, I'd do a Mega Squirt. It's really not that hard to learn if you're a gear-head and have some experience with a keyboard (and you probably do since you're here). I'm a 56 year old gearhead, but I built my own Mega Squirt a few years ago and installed it on my '03 Neon - it wasn't that difficult. A lot of the work has already been done by others; you can buy the unit already assembled and use someone else's program to get your engine started, then just do the final tweaking with a laptop. You learn a lot doing it, and there are endless modifications you (or someone) can do, like adjusting the F/A mixture for cold starts or high altitudes, adding traction control, adding e-fan control, etc.

If you're not convinced, there are turn-key standalone EFI options available for the 360 crate motors. Some pretty pricey though. Here's a MOPAR setup:

http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/...dproduct=-2593

You're head spinnin' yet?

Last edited by ragged89; 08-29-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate everyone's sage advice...I'll start mapping out the plan for MPI and begin reading more on the various options...Pick up the 95 donor today, so the party is starting

Old 08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by ragged89
AZ says the code is almost cracked, if so, the options/capabilities should definitely open up.

If you're going crate, I'd do a Mega Squirt.
BG has been flashing OBD1 Dodge for years probably over 10. So you don't have to wait for someone to crack any code.
http://www.bgperformance.com/tuning-magnum-truck.aspx

A crate motor will be stock style motor, nothing special.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
BG has been flashing OBD1 Dodge for years probably over 10. So you don't have to wait for someone to crack any code.
http://www.bgperformance.com/tuning-magnum-truck.aspx
I personally don't like relying on other people. When you can tune it yourself, if you make changes to the vehicle you need to pay someone for a new tune as oppose to hooking up your own equipment and doing it yourself. It may be different for naturally aspirated V-8s where you just tell them what you got and get your tune and you done. But as far as my turbo-van goes, I'm always upgrading/changing things so I need to make adjustments often. I found dyno-tuning is the best way to go. Last time I took my van to the dyno, I picked up 25 ft/lbs of torque an 13 horse power. You can't do that over the phone or even tuning on the street.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I personally don't like relying on other people. When you can tune it yourself, if you make changes to the vehicle you need to pay someone for a new tune as oppose to hooking up your own equipment and doing it yourself. It may be different for naturally aspirated V-8s where you just tell them what you got and get your tune and you done. But as far as my turbo-van goes, I'm always upgrading/changing things so I need to make adjustments often. I found dyno-tuning is the best way to go. Last time I took my van to the dyno, I picked up 25 ft/lbs of torque an 13 horse power. You can't do that over the phone or even tuning on the street.
True, but when there is no self tuning option for the OBDI Dodge PCM's then sending it out is best and ONLY option for flashing the OBD1 Dodge PCM. Plus don't forget the member asking the question doesn't know how to self tune.

BG allows custom tunes which you send in your engine specs, cam, nitrous, turbo, superchager info and you get a custom tune which I'm sure they can work with you for everything you need. BG does state a handheld unit, whether or not that is for the ODB1 I don't know. But most places use handheld units to be tuned changed via a computer. Most places can email the tune for you then you upload it to the handheld unit to flash the vehicle PCM. For dyno tuning you can send the dyno data in and get a few tunes back to try. When in dyno sessions you can do live feed to the company where they can do live tune. Again all of that is what some places do.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:20 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I'm in agreement....I'll probably start with a BG tune just to get it streetable if by the time I'm done with this project the code isn't cracked. Long term, I may go with something more tuneable. In that this is a vert build, it's not going to be a heavy drag truck...Don't even know if the 1/8 mile track allows verts on test/tune. But since I got such a deal on the 360/380 I couldn't pass up the opportunity to make it respectable. I'll be happy with mid 13 performance, with AC and Cruise Control Safety and drive ability will come first.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:25 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

True, but when there is no self tuning option for the OBDI Dodge PCM's then sending it out is best and ONLY option for flashing the OBD1 Dodge PCM. Plus don't forget the member asking the question doesn't know how to self tune.
I wouldn't say I'm completely ignorant...I use an SCT on my supercharged marauder and can play around with the timing/fuel, although I don't do anything too radical. On my OBD1 Grand National, I use TurboTweak's burn services everytime I change something, but the cost is waayyyy less than the BG option. Plus there's an order of 10 fold of information on Buicks than there appears to be on the Dakota...You guys are trailblazers

This is my first foray into Dodge, so much of my ignorance comes from the specifics with respect to Dodge, and what's available and not available. The Megasquirt stuff may be viable alternative and if so, I'll jump in and learn it. I'm a programmer by trade, so that portion doesn't scare me. But not understanding all the intricacies of setting up timing/fuel from scratch does intimidate me somewhat as I don't want to damage a nice engine

Old 08-30-2013, 02:09 PM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BG allows custom tunes which you send in your engine specs, cam, nitrous, turbo, superchager info and you get a custom tune which I'm sure they can work with you for everything you need. BG does state a handheld unit, whether or not that is for the ODB1 I don't know. But most places use handheld units to be tuned changed via a computer. Most places can email the tune for you then you upload it to the handheld unit to flash the vehicle PCM. For dyno tuning you can send the dyno data in and get a few tunes back to try. When in dyno sessions you can do live feed to the company where they can do live tune. Again all of that is what some places do.
I think the BG option is a good option. I said "personally" I prefer the self tune route. As far as the member stating he doesn't know how to self tune, I didn't know how to self tune a couple of years ago but I had to learn otherwise putting and '04 2.4 SRT-4 engine in my '88 Caravan wouldn't have been an option for me since the DOHC tune is so radically different than the SOHC tune I was starting with. I just want to give people the pros and cons before they drop a lot of loot and turn out to have made the wrong decision. He still has to do the physical swap so he has time to consider all his options.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazy4x4RT:
A crate motor will be stock style motor, nothing special.
380 horses would make it special to me! There are apparently two versions of the 360 crate motor, one 300 HP (stock-ish I guess), and one at 380 HP, which is what robertmee believes his is.

Quick Reply: PCM Question