1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 12:09 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine swap

Been trying to do research with no luck and I was wondering what some of you guys thought. I gotta 94 Dakota 2.5L 4cyl 5spd. I want to swap in an srt 4 engine. Thoughts or concerns? I haven't seen it done yet and been looking for info and not sure where to look

Old 09-03-2013, 01:02 PM
cd36
Professional

Why an SRT-4 engine? Which one, the one from the Neon or the one from the Caliber? What are you trying to accomplish, more power, or to do something no one else has ever done?

SRT-4's were always FWD, so you'll have some work to adapt motor mounts to a RWD application. I'm not sure if there is a RWD transmission that will just bolt up to it either, as I don't believe the 2.4L in any flavour was mounted North-South.

Keep in mind the Neon SRT-4 used the 2.4L that had been in use for quite a number of years dating back to the original Neon in 95 or so, and was loosely based on the 2.2L/2.5L chrysler engines before that. The 2.4L in the Caliber is a newer design called the World Gas Engine, and doesn't much if anything with the previous generation of 2.4L.

You would have to do a standalone fuel management system, such as Megasquirt. That means you'll have to do the tuning of your vehicle.

It is a high revving turbo engine, typically not suited for a truck, which favours low RPM grunt more often. If you are looking for best bang for your buck power increase you'd be best to swap in a 318. If you are looking to do something different, well, that is different. I'm not sure you'll find an info about putting a 2.4L Turbo engine into a Dodge Dakota, you'll have to do the research and planning yourself, selecting parts that will work together and fabbing up what you can't buy. You could look at the Turbo Dodge forums, as I know some people have put 2.4L Turbo's into older turbo dodges, and you may be able to draw some ideas from them, but you'll still have the FWD/RWD differences to deal with.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:08 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur

I am looking to do something different, I thought it would be cool to open my hood and see a 4cyl engine in there still that's kinda quick. My uncle can get me a 318 pretty cheap but he knows I want my truck to remain a 5spd I haven't seen many V8's out there with a 5spd transmission unless it will bolt up to my stock trans with a little work. What do you think?

Old 09-03-2013, 04:01 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Putting a 318 wouldn't be different... they came factory like that in 94...it might bolt up to your transmission but won't last under v8 power...if you want different beef up the four banger you have and put a turbo on it. Or put a 360 in it.. same work as swapping a 318 but didn't come factory with that option.

Last edited by robertmee; 09-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:16 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur

It's not even worth trying to beef up the four banger cause stock only had 99 horse power and after I did a few things it squeaks out roughly 126. So I don't think it's worth it to beef it up.. If I did decide to do a 318 swap what all would I need to do. Like engine mounts, computer etc?

Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Most of the swaps concentrate on V6 to 318/360...Not sure on the 4 banger to V8. At the minimum, you'll need the wiring harness, PCM, engine from intake/fuel rail to oil pan, transmission, drive shaft, heavier front suspension springs for the front end, beefier rear end, et al.

In all honesty, it would be probably be cheaper and easier to buy a 94 5.2L dakota and swap your cab and bed onto the new truck if you're attached to the look of your truck.

Here was a similar thread started but didn't get very far:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-360-swap.html

Last edited by robertmee; 09-03-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM
bigpete1125
Amateur

The look has me attached to the model of the truck but my particular kota was my first vehicle and long story short going to class one morning after a snow storm 7 car pile up I was involved and everything happened so fast that I hit a mini van at 60 mph. Air bag didn't deploy and it was the only vehicle to drive away. I was also the only driver not hurt in the accident and when she went to the shop the frame wasn't even bent. I ended up with extra cash that I had to give back to insurance co. My uncle owns a 95 with a V6 a close friend of mine who's father passed had one and I just can't part with her yea know.... It's just that truck for me as does every guy has that one vehicle.. I'll do a lot of research and see whats needed thanks for the starting info. And if you know where else to read about it let me know.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
bigpete1125
Amateur

That helps out I just wonder if i'll even run into half of those problems cause I don't have powering steering, a/c or power windows or door locks. I am going to get all new gauges when I do the swap and a few of my stock gauges have been replaced already... I def think that a 318 swap is the right way to go now thanks for the help

Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM
AndrewRobertson
Amateur

Its completely possible if you can do the fab work/motor/electrical work your self. Sounds like a bad *** plan.

You will not just the motor and tranny.

First off you would have to find a srt4 motor, tranny, dash, wiring harness, PCM, axels, cv joints/boots, spindles, fab motor mounts , fab K member, gauges, front mount, radiator, you might have to run MS (mega squirt if you wanted to customize your tune), could possibly run a SCT and piggy back the system, then you would have to drop the truck on its nuts so you dont flip it when you turn, ect, ect, ect.

Then once everything is said and done, you still have to tune your truck to get it just right, turbo shouldt be hard to setup in your engine bay...actually it would be really easy.

The main problem you are going to encounter would be weight ratio up front to the rear. its going to completely affect your numbers.

Then you have to worry about the dash, you are going to freak out the computer if you try to wire it up separately, this is where MS comes in, you can custom tune your PCM anyway you want off the standalone system.

You should really call Chris at P.I.E (performance injection equipment), he is a huge mopar guy and would def help you out or atleast give you a loose guide. I would then goto the srt4 forums and talk to those guys some more. its been some time since i had mine and they could def help you even more.

price:

MS-1,000-2,500$
SRT4 Motor and tranny-2-3k ( most likly somebody raced the pissed out it)
Engine rebuild-800-1500$
Dash-400
motor mounts-40-300$ (depends if you can do it your self)
Complete axle setup-400-600$
Harness-200$ (unless you can find at a junkyard)
gauages-100-300$
PCM-200-400$
Front Mount-100-300$ (ebay would work)
materials-500$ (depends on what you have now)
Tuneing-1000-2000$ ( MS is hard to learn)
Alignment-150$

Your looking at alot of cash and a ton of man hours and tuning. I left somethings out but this is pretty much the basics.

If you had the cash, i would say **** ya and do it!

Last edited by AndrewRobertson; 09-05-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: engine swap