1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dak v6 needs better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Dbdscores
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dak v6 needs better mpg

Ok so I have a 93 with the 3.9 I've got a lift on it with 31s (yes I realize going back to stock would help but I refuse) 3in Flo master super 40 series exhaust with magna flow hi flow cat. I have a v8 tb on it (that helped) new plenum gasket I'm about to do the e fan swap. New o2 sensor and iac valve sensor relatively new egr gasket.. Yet I'm olny getting 9.5 mpg yea that's with compensation for the tires. Oh and I have a tight budget and this is my only vehicle so it can't be out of commission for more than a day and I have emissions.

Last edited by Dbdscores; 10-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:11 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

my 2001 dak V6 3.9 auto trans was getting 8-9 MPG. course i drive hard. i had a 4.1 gear put in. made my trany go into O.D. at 35 MPH with no other changes. my MPG went to 11-12. BUT i drive ONLY in town, no 50 MPH. an other wild idea try Marvel mystery oil in the gas, 4 oz in 10 gal. some people get better MPG, not a lot but some, but NOT all the time.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:41 PM
Dbdscores
Professional

I have a manual transmission and idk about the oil in gas

Old 10-12-2013, 04:01 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you got something seriously wrong somewere.. unfortunately cant help were...

You might cry here.. but I have very little mods to engine on my 92 extended cab.. 318 but highway with 33's and a home built winch bumper(250lbs~) I get roughly 25~ highway and 18~ town driving like a old man... easy on throttle.. but when in mud I watch the gas gauge move..LOL

now tho I change air filter every oil change cause its only 5 bucks..
I use mobile one synthetic
modified airfilter with dual intakes(just takes air from under hood)
all difff's and trannny were changed out this summer for synthetic ..
if antifreeze was made synthetic it would be too but I got Ford Gold Antifreeze in er.
has 3:55 gearing ... no bottom end unless in 4low ..LOL reving highway speeds 1800~ rpms

Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Dbdscores
Professional

I wish.. Maybe once its warming out i can do bigger things cuz I have a motorcycle that I can ride but its too cold and rainy in Washington to ride throughout the winter.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:33 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

The usual things I do to improve any vehicle, change plugs, wires, cap, rotor, clean, replace or rebuild the injectors. Check for vacuum leaks. Make sure all moving parts are greased and in good working order. It can add 20-30 miles to a tank full.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Dbdscores
Professional

I just did a new tune up

Old 10-13-2013, 01:36 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by Dbdscores
Ok so I have a 93 with the 3.9 I've got a lift on it with 31s (yes I realize going back to stock would help but I refuse) 3in Flo master super 40 series exhaust with magna flow hi flow cat. I have a v8 tb on it (that helped) new plenum gasket I'm about to do the e fan swap. New o2 sensor and iac valve sensor relatively new egr gasket.. Yet I'm only getting 9.5 mpg yea that's with compensation for the tires. Oh and I have a tight budget and this is my only vehicle so it can't be out of commission for more than a day and I have emissions.
Everything you've done has contributed to you crappy mileage. Lifting the the suspension gets it right up there in the air to increase air resistance. The big tires have more air and rolling resistance and require more hp to get going. Your Flowmaster exhaust, hi-flo cat, and V8 throttle body flow more air/exhaust, but that requires more fuel (the pcm compensates the keep the air/fuel mix correct.)

You can tune it up to your hearts content, and run the tires with 90 psi, and you probably won't see any improvement. Your manly, manly truck is just gonna be a gas hog.

I don't mean to be grumpy, but there really is no free lunch.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
well you got something seriously wrong somewere.. unfortunately cant help were...

You might cry here.. but I have very little mods to engine on my 92 extended cab.. 318 but highway with 33's and a home built winch bumper(250lbs~) I get roughly 25~ highway and 18~ town driving like a old man... easy on throttle.. but when in mud I watch the gas gauge move..LOL

now tho I change air filter every oil change cause its only 5 bucks..
I use mobile one synthetic
modified airfilter with dual intakes(just takes air from under hood)
all difff's and trannny were changed out this summer for synthetic ..
if antifreeze was made synthetic it would be too but I got Ford Gold Antifreeze in er.
has 3:55 gearing ... no bottom end unless in 4low ..LOL reving highway speeds 1800~ rpms
Actually there is a synthetic coolant. I'm going to change over to this stuff in November. Benefits--never needs changing again, doesn't permit corrosion, much larger range of protection, non toxic, and not bad for the environment. Negatives-price (really spendy!) and totally not compatible with water or antifreeze.
Amazon.com: Evans NPG + Coolant: Automotive Amazon.com: Evans NPG + Coolant: Automotive

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 10-13-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: forgot to post the link.