1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

how to remove the rear driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:59 PM
rollingdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove the rear driveshaft

Im looking at buying a 93 v6 dakota 2 wheel drive. It doesnt run so i have to rent a car dolly to get it home. But with it being rear wheel drive i have to remove the rear drive shaft. But it an hour away and dont know what tools or how to remove it for hauling. Any info would be well appreciated. Thank you

Old 11-06-2013, 12:15 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to remove 4 bolts that are holding the driveshaft u-joint to the axle then slip the axle off. if its a 2-piece ds then you need something to catch the trans fluid like a can taped to the trans tail housing(like i did once) or if its the 3 piece ds then it'll slip off and the front half will stay in the trans.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 AM
rollingdodge
Professional

How much trans fluid will come out? All of it or just a little bit? And i take it the 4 bolts are on the diff side.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:07 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
you have to remove 4 bolts that are holding the driveshaft u-joint to the axle then slip the axle off. if its a 2-piece ds then you need something to catch the trans fluid like a can taped to the trans tail housing(like i did once) or if its the 3 piece ds then it'll slip off and the front half will stay in the trans.
Or just wire or chain the drive shaft up and out of the way (after you d/c it from the differential.)

Or tow the truck home on a trailer (they rent those, too.)

Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by rollingdodge
How much trans fluid will come out? All of it or just a little bit? And i take it the 4 bolts are on the diff side.
not sure as i never had to remove the 2 piece driveshaft without the fluid being drained first

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Or just wire or chain the drive shaft up and out of the way (after you d/c it from the differential.)
that too but you have to becareful so it doesn't come out
some places are very finicky about trailers. you have to watch weight ratings.

i was once told that my ford which has gvwr of 10k lb couldnt tow my 3k lb dakota on a 2k lb because the dakota on the trailer would out weigh the total gvwr of my ford.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:39 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
not sure as i never had to remove the 2 piece driveshaft without the fluid being drained first

that too but you have to becareful so it doesn't come out

some places are very finicky about trailers. you have to watch weight ratings.

i was once told that my ford which has gvwr of 10k lb couldnt tow my 3k lb dakota on a 2k lb because the dakota on the trailer would out weigh the total gvwr of my ford.
man that sucks, round here if u can pull it safetly its all fun and games LOL GO CANADA ...

perspective, on a car trailer, 2005 F150 Lariat, crew cab , big trucklong heavy 4x4.... tow vehicle.. tiny little 2009 Dodge Nitro, aka jeep liberty on drugs.. , only problem we had was on full turns with front end slipping but 4wd took care of the traction we needed even past transportation guys and they just ignored us .

but yea trailer or tow bar is better bet with a 4x4, towing with 2 wheel on ground is never good :O either all off or all on :O or be a redneck and use some fishing line and a second driver :O

Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is the best advice. I would probably just tie up the shaft and use the dolly. I tried to rent a U-Haul car trailer one time to tow my truck and they were way too short for it to even fit. Literally, if I pulled the front wheels all the way to the front of the trailer, the back tires were still on the ground.

I couldn't find a decent rental trailer anywhere, so I ended up buying one. Now, I use it to tow my full-size Blazer around with my Dakota.

Quick Reply: how to remove the rear driveshaft