1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

truck started on fire

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 04:45 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default truck started on fire

well my truck started on fire today. i had it on a lift and was positioning the pipes for the exhaust when my grandpa came in the garage and alerted me to the smoke.

so i basically flipped out, dropped the lift and rolled the truck out on the driveway, disconnected the battery and sprayed the ****** down with the hose.

there wasnt to much fire damage but the hole wiring harness from the prop valve into the cab and the cab harness is f****d.

i still have to take the rest of the harnesses apart but it seems that the wire from the prop valve burned directly to the switch and all the other wires just happened to be along for the ride.

ill have pics later but does any one know what the wires on the igition switch go to where and what they do?

Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

Damn man ****ty deal, stay safe.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:17 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Shadow, what the heck are you gonna do? That sux.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:08 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

they have a couple of unmolested dakotas at the junkyard ill have to rob, rape and pillage them for harnesses. luckily everything from the cab forward was untouched.

upon further inspectiin there is a whire coming off the prop valve that goes directly to the switch then up behind the cluster which is the one that burned up and melte parts of the harnesses.

its sad because I just put a new fuel pump in and left the key off but the battery disconnected and 30mins later the fire starts.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:17 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

anyone know why the prop valve would be wired directly to the acc side of the ignition switch?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Dang that sucks. It could have been worse.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM
dobaroy
Veteran

Shadow I am not sure about that wire going to the ignition switch but on the older Chrysler cars (the 70's) the wire from the prop valve goes to a light in the dash that alerts you if the brakes are failing. Sometimes you could do what you want but they would not go out so we would just pull the wire off.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
90dakotaconvertible
Rookie

Probably has something to do with the ABS and ABS/Parking Lights? I know there is an electrical connector/switch on the Metering Valve.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

yeah thats the wire that burned up but I traced it and it went from the prop valve to the acc side of the ignition switch then up to the light in the dash.

I did manage to salvage the rest of the harness with heat shrink tubing and liquid tape so I just left the burned out of the harness bt I need to figure out what acc wires go were and do what.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

yeah thats the wire that burned up but I traced it and it went from the prop valve to the acc side of the ignition switch then up to the light in the dash.

I did manage to salvage the rest of the harness with heat shrink tubing and liquid tape so I just left the burned out of the harness bt I need to figure out what acc wires go were and do what.

because of the fire I got a couple fire extinguishers(one mounted by each bay in the garage) for extra security.

Quick Reply: truck started on fire