1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Any of use guys got subs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any of you guys got subs? Looking for input

I just bought a 10" pioneer sub(ts-sw2501s4)I'm looking for the best amp to run! Any ideas? I just bought the one and I'm new to the sub business aha. I could even use help in the type of box to buy. But right now I need either specs of a amp that will run prime or even an amp and cut the bs. Thanks

Last edited by Cooreman; 12-02-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

you go with anything, just cant go to high on the amp or you run the risk of blowing out the sub or amp.

in my dd I have 2 12" sony xplod subs with an 800w pioneer amp off the factory radio.

in my dakota I have a sony xplod radio with 2 12" subway subs. its keeps me entertained on long trips..lol

my last setop was a 12" rockford sub with a cheap walmart 300w dual amp that hit hard enough to unlatch my trunk on the highway.

im sure someone with more advanced knowledge on the subject(stats and numbers) will chime in.

also want to make sure that the electrical system can handle the sound system. but from what it sounds like you should be fine

Old 12-03-2013, 01:26 AM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm curious on this subject as well. Onlt thing I've messed with on speakers is replacing my moms 6x9s in her ford five hundred which after switching from fords stupid plugs to the regular spade connectors or w/e their called was a plug and play situation.

Plan on putting two 10s in my dak soon and possibly replacing the rear 5x7s with 6x9s if there would be enough room to cut a big enough hole for them to fit.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by daksnbeers
I'm curious on this subject as well. Onlt thing I've messed with on speakers is replacing my moms 6x9s in her ford five hundred which after switching from fords stupid plugs to the regular spade connectors or w/e their called was a plug and play situation.

Plan on putting two 10s in my dak soon and possibly replacing the rear 5x7s with 6x9s if there would be enough room to cut a big enough hole for them to fit.
i put 6x9s in the doors. theres enough oom to clear the windows. not sure if you have a reg cab or ext cab but i think there s enough room to put them in the back of the reg cab and there is definitely enough room to put them in the back of an ext cab.

and i here ya bout swapping speakers in other cars. i did that in doors of my intrigue, but i found out the previous owner didnt remove the panels the right way so they were glued back together and fell apart when i too the panels off the right way

Last edited by shadowthedakota; 12-03-2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: laptop keyboard broken
Old 12-03-2013, 12:07 PM
daksnbeers
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the rear deck speakers in her car. Had to remove the rear seats and a pillar covers just to remove her deck. Put the new speakers in as an undermount so if they ever need to be replaced again its aloy easier lol.

I do have an extended cab need to replace my door speakers. The passenger side rattles really bad. Might do 6" speakers to replace them.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:30 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

I found replacement pioneers for front and rear (5 1/2 front and 5by 7 rear ) for a cheap price the front are 2 way and rear are 3 so some decent sound from factory deck and are in use now...

(spring
I picked up 3 8 inch shallow mount kicker subs when bestbuy sold offf car audio and got out off it here, and a old tool box for under rear seat from a scrap truck and basically gonnnna cut out the bottom off the box wax paper the floor of my truck(easy removel of box while building) and fiberglass resin/cloth build a bottom to contour floor.... once done remove and thicken that up and go from there, use MDF on the top prolly double layer it to give the speakers clearence .. kinda build something similar to the second gen thunderbox from MTX and so fourth for under Xtended rear seat

the only issue I worry about is cubic volume air I know 2 il be fine but be close for 3

Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Any good ol amp will do. I have an Audiobahn 4002j thats 250w running 2x12 kicker cvrs in the Blazer. That blew my alternator this past week.

You might want to run a shallow angled sealed box on one side, and mount the amplifier to the back of the cab on the other side. I don't know what kind of cab you have, but I was able to fit one of those dual 6" speaker boxes from walmart between the two seats and rear wall of my single cab.

I haven't got to see my Dak in about a year, but if you plan on running a lot of power I know the s10/Blazer guys do the "Big 3" upgrade and I'm pretty sure it's the same for anything else. It's 1 power line and 2 grounds that are thick gauge. Check out KnuKoncepts for an Amp wiring kit. Mine was like $45 and I got enough wire to run to the liftgate of the Blazer after chopping off a foot or two!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:47 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bryce V. Fowler
You might want to run a shallow angled sealed box on one side, and mount the amplifier to the back of the cab on the other side. I don't know what kind of cab you have, but I was able to fit one of those dual 6" speaker boxes from walmart between the two seats and rear wall of my single cab.
thanks i was wondering if they'd fit.

Originally Posted by Bryce V. Fowler
I haven't got to see my Dak in about a year, but if you plan on running a lot of power I know the s10/Blazer guys do the "Big 3" upgrade and I'm pretty sure it's the same for anything else. It's 1 power line and 2 grounds that are thick gauge.
thats a good idea. i've really only seen it on the furd forums. never figured it would work for others

Old 12-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Cooreman
Veteran

I got a 800 max amp from a buddy at work time to buy a box and some wire!

Old 12-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Bryce V. Fowler
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, as far as Im concerned when I googled the Big 3 first to come up was Mitsubishi so my first assumption is that its a relatively universal electrical upgrade. Certainly look up the brand specifics, just in case. Best grounding spots, etc, etc. If I remember correctly, it was the RoadRunner box I had, because some of the speakers were blown and it was kicking around my buddies shed so I grabbed it off him. Wired to the head, it sounded fine for the hour trip to work so I was not too concerned about the real technics.

But where Im only running a 250 watt amp, I still grab a very overrated wiring kit (4g wiring) because I may plan on upgrading in the future to multi amps for components and subs. Go with 1/0 if its in your budget. Look up some specifics on the electricals to what you might need. Dont power your amp with an underrated wire unless you like fires!!! And keep an eye on your charging system. If you see your voltage drop with sub usage, disconnect the amp immediately and check your charging system. I tossed my alt because of a faulty voltage regulator in the middle of interstate rush hour traffic. Engine jumping 700 rpms every second in the middle lane isn't the best way to start yer day....

And dont run a smaller Big 3 than your amp wiring. In case of emergency, fires may ensue.

Last edited by Bryce V. Fowler; 12-08-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Any of use guys got subs?