1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reesey
So my compression is at 136psi on avg. Tested three times and thats the average. Lowest test was 132psi. The smoke was from running rich. All my o2s were bad. I did however notice when i opened my oil fill i got a puff of smoke. That cant be good.
So what accounts for using a quart of oil a month? Do you see any evidence of massive leakage?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:44 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
So what accounts for using a quart of oil a month? Do you see any evidence of massive leakage?

REASON NUMBER 1: its a friggen Dodge

depends on how much in town stop and go/idle he does
how much milage he does a month.. if hes doing 3-4000 miles a month that's not unusual... but if 3-400 a month well I would be checking that plenum gasket.. I just went that route not long ago

Old 12-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Reesey
Amateur

I have a leak at the pan plug. I am gonna re-tap and replace the plug. I drive about 800-900 miles a month, some months more because I have to travel for work sometimes. Usually every other month(adds about 1200 miles when I travel for work. New York to North Carolina and back). I add oil about once a month but not on the dot every month. Only when it gets below the safe zone on the dipstick. It might be the 5th this month but then the 25th the next, and not always a full quart(sometimes only 3/4, sometimes half). The pan plug I would imagine is the culprit for most of the oil lose but no way to really measure how much I am losing that way. I could park it and put a pan under it but I would only get half what I am looking for as not running equals no pressure. As a matter of fact I added lucas oil treatment to it with one of the oil changes and didn't have to add a quart until I did the next oil change without it. I have only owned the truck about 4 months and it was under maintained by the previous owner and sat for some time before I bought it(hence expecting it to be gaskets from being dry for so long). For the first three months I did an oil change almost every 45 days to work some lubrication back into it. That's 3 changes in 3 months. I just started to notice things since, because I have finally had the time to really get into working on it. Thought I had a pressure problem at first but it turned out to be a faulty sending unit. Oil can would flicker, but wasn't losing pressure on the actual gauge and no change in the motor. Along with the plug issue I am going to change out the seals, rings, and plenum gasket, and go from there. Remember it is a '91 though. I expect some leakage/lose until I can get everything changed out. The puff of smoke when I opened the oil fill is what concerns me(not a big plume, but enough to see it). It happened right after I took about a hundred mile trip. That is my first priority. Also I want to let you both know I appreciate all the advice I have received from both of you.

Last edited by Reesey; 12-20-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:31 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Forgot to add the pcv valve to the list of things I am gonna change. If its clogged I believe it would cause the engine to suck oil and burn it, instead of taking in air.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

the puff isn't uncommon specially if it was just or shortly after running, its a sign the pcv is toast tho.. and not venting properly but u said that's on your list..

my truck after the plenum was changed 92 318 MAGNUM I still use roughly 1/2 to 3/4 between changes which was better then fill up the oil and check the gas :O lol

Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Reesey
Amateur

GREAT! Maybe, just maybe I wont have to spend a couple hours replacing the plenum, lol.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

GREAT! Maybe, just maybe I wont have to spend a couple hours replacing the plenum, lol.
well with plenum you will see a great draw in oil.... I was going a litre a week ... and I only put 2000 miles a year on the truck so not driven a lot also fuel mileage will go down drastically you should be around the 15~ mark anything below 10 id go for the plenum..lol there is also a test you can do for plenum leak.. just cant find it atm..

Old 12-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
well with plenum you will see a great draw in oil.... I was going a litre a week ... and I only put 2000 miles a year on the truck so not driven a lot also fuel mileage will go down drastically you should be around the 15~ mark anything below 10 id go for the plenum..lol there is also a test you can do for plenum leak.. just cant find it atm..
Well in a 15 gallon tank I am getting atleast 200 miles, gauge reads full at all times so I am getting more than ten, while also running rich. Both 02s were shot and haven't yet swapped out the 160 degree thermostat for the 195 hi-flo I just got. Tomorrow will be a big truck day. I imagine I am getting about 16 miles/gal, just haven't pushed it until I get the pump out and check the float and connection tabs on the sending unit.

Last edited by Reesey; 12-20-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Update: Got into the truck a little this morning and I swapped out the 160 thermostat for the 195 hi-flo. Cleaned the aic(pretty rough shape). Adjusted rear brakes. Working great now.

Changed the pcv valve and grommet. Here is a pic of the old one:

Nasty little thing.

Checked the spark plugs for any evidence of faulty rings and was glad to see none. Here is a pic of the worst plug. Did also notice need new ones, lol. No idea how long these have been in there.

I did find however that I have blowouts on the plenum.

Looks like that is next.

Attached Thumbnails Burning oil-21m4wpg.jpg   Burning oil-2enw86w.jpg   Burning oil-35a0odu.jpg  

Last edited by Reesey; 12-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Update: Got into the truck a little this morning and I swapped out the 160 thermostat for the 195 hi-flo. Cleaned the aic(pretty rough shape). Adjusted rear brakes. Working great now.

I did find however that I have blowouts on the plenum.

Looks like that is next.
well if your talking about were your fingers are.. thats the valve cover gasket.. plenum is under the intake manifold and cant see really unless u remove intake manifold.. .. its possible the previous owner just used silicon to seal the valve covers aswell and thats what ur seeing.

PCV looked harsh dude....

Plugs look like they are burning hot and lean condition.. not rich :O

quick plenum issue video:

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 12-21-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Burning oil