1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Sudden overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Reesey: From what I can see the frigid weather has warmed up to just cold, did your overheating problems resolve themselves? In parts of the country that get winter weather, a coolant check (you can get the Prestone tool at most auto parts stores) at the beginning of the season is a good idea.

Coolant doesn't wear out (as far as it's ability to not freeze) but adding water dilutes it.

Good practice is to use 100% antifreeze when you add to the reservoir. If you're changing out the coolant, use 100% antifreeze and mix it to 50% with distilled water.

That premixed stuff everyone tries to sell you is a sucker's bet. They charge almost the price of the 100% stuff and then cut it with water. Distilled water is $1 a gallon at the grocery or Walmart.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Reesey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it didnt resolve itself. I changed out all the problems I found and while doing it I found the thermostat housing was warped and not seating right. Swapped it out with a new one and bam. Right as rain now. Flushed and filled with 3 pure coolant and topped off with DISTILLED water giving me a 70/30 mix. Thanks for all the help and info. It was greatly appreciated. Also threw a full tune up on her.

rotor
cap
wireset
plugs
pcv
fuel filter
oil change with lucas additive
air filter
brakes all around(seized self adjusters on back, manual adjust today)
new aic
cleaned entire throttle body
replaced the headliner(old one was horrible)
new belts
new lighter(old one was rusted out)

Had a couple days off so I went all out.

Quick Reply: Sudden overheating