1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Sudden overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Reesey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sudden overheating

I have a 92 dakota that ran fine except today. The motor is over heating and my bypass hose blew apart. Its about -3 outside when this happened. It did this once before but once it warmed up in the sun it ran just fine. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

You probably need new coolant. The stuff in there isn't strong enough for sub zero temps and is crystallizing (freezing up.) Causes a blockage and the coolant can't circulate.

The radiator drain is on the driver's side, btw.

I've seen this a number of times (cars by the side of the road) when I lived up north.

Please don't drain the coolant out on the ground. Poisons dogs, cats, and other critters. Probably if you can drain about a gallon of coolant out and then add a gallon of straight antifreeze you'll be okay.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 AM
Reesey
Amateur

Much better than a new pump or what-not. Thanks for the info.

I would never drain any fluids onto the ground. I am a pet owner myself.

Old 01-07-2014, 12:28 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to question the response but since when would coolant regardless of age cause overheating? ive ran with straight water before in +40C weather and never had issues beforeeven last winter I left it plugged in all winter but my antifreeze was rated -21 and we got -45C weather and still never a problem.. although I wish it ddid cause I woulda had some heat :O LOL

I still have green antifreeze in my o'l truck its rated -20Cnow and I haven't seen that stuff ffor sale around here in many years

it is possible that thermostat is sticking or is toasted

not questioning you Brian I just never heard of it before...unless line was actually frozen ..

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 01-07-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Thermostat is new, and works as I have ran on it for a litte over a week(not saying it couldnt have hit the fan). I am led to believe that its frozen lines. I put 50/50 in it when I filled the radiator and it wasnt rated for very low. Not knowing what was in already it could have been less than 50/50 mix which would cause the coolant to be rated even lower due to excess water. Now on a day like today where it is -3 outside with a wind chill of -45, I am pretty sure that is what it is. It had also done this slightly before, no longer than a week ago in somewhat the same weather. Last time after the truck sat in the sun it ran fine. I also discovered that I have ice crystals in my line when I added more coolant. Leading me to believe what brian has suggested. Its also a lot cheaper to try first.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:22 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

Originally Posted by Reesey
Thermostat is new, and works as I have ran on it for a litte over a week. I am led to believe that its frozen lines. I put 50/50 in it when I filled the radiator and it wasnt rated for very low. Not knowing what was in already it could have been less than 50/50 mix which would cause the coolant to be rated even lower due to excess water. Now on a day like today where it is -3 outside with a wind chill of -45, I am pretty sure that is what it is. It had also done this slightly before, no longer than a week ago in somewhat the same weather. Last time after the truck sat in the sun it ran fine. I also discovered that I have ice crystals in my line when I added more coolant. Leading me to believe what brian has suggested. Its also a lot cheaper to try first.
well im assuming -3F = -20C~ .. cause -3 C aint much to freeze and windchill has no effect hopefully the damage was limited to a hose and didn't damage anything else if it froze .

now information comes out to lead to a more precise answer so yea more then likely the addition of more water caused it to be to low as Brian said

Old 01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

like stated before its the coolant but can also be a sign of old hoses. usually the weakest goes first.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Reesey
Amateur

Just to be sure i checked everything and found this:

thermostat worked fine in boiling water

upper radiator hose has a small tear where it connects to thermstat housing

squelling under the hood now(water pump shot?)

have added one gallon of 50\50 and one gallon of straight fluid but still losing it somewhere(dont know how much i lost when the bypass line blew)

when i took the thermostat off and looked down in it was bone dry

I dont believe I am burning coolant as I am not getting the sweet smell from my exhaust

some gurgling back into the resevior attached to the radiator

also upper hose is hot as hell and lower is cold

no heat from heater

Last edited by Reesey; 01-07-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

its possible if water pump area froze up it sheared the inner turbine off.... I believe a dry system hold around 4 gallons total so if you went over that .. check the oil make sure no water(white looking oil) is getting in there ....

no heat can simply be due to air since the heater core is a high point(stupid dodge) see if either of the 2 lines are warm going to it... or can be lack of sirculation.... you can also pop off rad cap and see if any circulation(movement) while its running

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 01-08-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM
warrenlevihursh
Amateur

If the coolant lines are frozen, there will be little circulation and prob no heat, especially if the heater core is slushy or cold due to low circulation. Try to get the vehicle in a heated garage and add some straight coolant. Then run the truck and get it to mix together. I would bleed the system for air after that. I had a similar problem!

Quick Reply: Sudden overheating