1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I have a question about frames if someone could help

Old 01-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Sinatra87
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a question about frames if someone could help

I have a 95 dakota slt extended cab 4x4 the frame rotted and snapped in half. What is the difference between the 4x4 frame and the 2 wheel drive frame if I was able to get a 2 wheel drive frame since that's all I can find at junk yards and on craigslist

Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Front suspension is totally different. Won't have provisions for the stuff you need to bolt on. Nope, you need a frame from a 4x4.

Welcome to DF!

Just out of idle curiosity, would it be possible to find the whole truck? Doesn't really matter what shape the rest of it is in..... so long as the frame is decent.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I found a 4x4 frame for my '93 which was completely rotted. Yeah, the 2wd has coil springs up front. Our 4x4s have torsion bars (and therefore they have a torsion bar x-member). I'm not sure what else is different, but you will not be able to do a straight swap with a 4x2 frame...custom work will absolutely be required.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Sinatra87

Thanks for the reply and help. I have been looking for a donor truck I haven't found any in my area I live in northern jersey so. I will keep looking and let you guys know how I make out.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:15 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh good luck... I actually found mine in south Jersey. I found a number of trucks before the frame, but the craigslist posters never got back to me or just stopped responding.

Don't give up, scour craigslist every day and call everyone who has a 4x4 ext. Cab...you will find one eventually.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
Sinatra87

Ok thanks il keep looking the people that found in craigslists they don't even reply and the don't leave a phone number

Old 02-03-2014, 11:29 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm going to move your post to the 1st Gen Dakota section. You may get more response to your question. Have you tried wrecking yard from the west coast? Or the mid west?

Old 02-03-2014, 11:49 PM
SEPA92Dakota
Professional

I'm not too far from you, use Searchtempest.com and just set it to about 400 miles. Eventually you'll find one in south jersey, Lancaster County or south into Maryland/Virginia. I've had luck doing it that way.

Where did the frame snap at? If you find one for a regular cab or long bed you can always look into piecing together and welding up a frame for your truck.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Sinatra87

Ok and no I haven't went out that far to look for a frame I've been searching the east coast from Maine to Carolina I have found a few on craigslist that I emailed but only one person got back to me and he said he scrapped the truck already. I've never heard of the site I'm going to check it out today aNd my frame snapped like a foot maybe less right before the rear arch

Old 02-04-2014, 12:39 PM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinatra87
Ok and no I haven't went out that far to look for a frame I've been searching the east coast from Maine to Carolina I have found a few on craigslist that I emailed but only one person got back to me and he said he scrapped the truck already. I've never heard of the site I'm going to check it out today aNd my frame snapped like a foot maybe less right before the rear arch
By the leaf spring mount ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have a question about frames if someone could help