1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

When do I call it quits?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 05:00 PM
kris95
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When do I call it quits?

Hey guys I have a 95 dakota and she is my baby but she has alot of problems. The biggest is the rust problem. Every thing is covered in a 1/16 in rust. It's so bad Goodyear really tried to sway me away from putting new shocks in because I might crack the mount. My body has rust damage on it as well but thats not such a big deal as I have cut and replaced most of the damage. My concern is I wanted to make her a trail rig but I am not so sure she is up for the task. Only have 117xxx on the engine and she preforms fine in the engine. No codes no leaks and no burnt oil. Transmission on the other hand is another story, I had it looked at and it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. We are talking about 2-3k! I only bought it for 2500 and have put in 5000 in repairs already. And those repairs where critical to drive it. My ball joints where so bad they wouldn't pass inspection my pitman was completely rusted through fuel gauge is out and the rust.

So my question is should I keep dumping money into her? Or should I let her go and move on to a better maintained one? I do love my truck and I love my dodge but where is the line drawn?

I initially had a line of 5000 worth or repairs before I decided to stop. And I have met the line. Also I have only had the truck for 9 months now.

Any help?

Old 02-19-2014, 05:45 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can always find another(out of state with no rust, and they do exsist, i got one in canada that was solid ) and keep yours for parts... since you seem to have a crap load of parts into it..

But in honestly if structure is an issue its time to retire before it breaks in half

i paid 3300 for mine almost 2 years ago, and actual repairs less then 500 bucks, and i got 137300km's on it(not miles) but sank more into modifications, 33's rims winch, built bumper ect....

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 02-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
kris95

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
i paid 3300 for mine almost 2 years ago, and actual repairs less then 500 bucks, and i got 137300km's on it(not miles) but sank more into modifications, 33's rims winch, built bumper ect....

See I wanted to do that to mine but I don't want to spend money on mods if the structure is falling apart. I know I could find a frame for it but the problem is I live in cali and my town ordinance does not allow your car to be in peices in your front yard or drive way. So doing a project like that is not really in the picture.

The other parts I've bought are nessecary to drive it so I am like well do I sink more into it or do I get a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins? Haha you know?

Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran

um.... rust bucket vs plastic.. hmm honestly tough call... id feel safer in the o'l boy then the new plastic trucks.

I slipped 2 weeks ago and chest hit rad support hard cause I was standing on my winch bumper.. I broke 2 ribs and bruised 3... my mechanics buddy laughed and said if that was a newer truck you prolly would have bent the rad support ..

I love the older trucks but aftermarket is limiting on the Dakota's... now if it was a Toyota.. that's another story.. anyway in the end its up to you...

Old 02-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Cars & trucks are a learning process--you learned an expensive lesson.

I think I'd part it out (tho this may be problematic since there's so much rust.) I wouldn't put any more money in it, and I wouldn't try to sell it (I have problems with selling things that aren't safe or fixable.)

There are nice old trucks in your area. This one might be worth a road trip for a look. http://swks.craigslist.org/cto/4310249588.html

Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM
bran1har
Rookie

Mine broke in half 2 times due to rust. I went down the road of dumping money into her, and thats all ive done up until now, the money dumping seems to have leveled off. Frame cracked in the back(patched it up), then the control arm bracket rusted off while i was driving( Could have been very bad). I bought another and swaped the nice body i had onto a good frame, but even that was a lot of money because **** kept breaking as I went into the frame swap project.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Cooreman
Veteran

I would suggest buying another dakota and use this one for parts if you're some what mechanically inclined

Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 AM
DukeDomB
Rookie

I wouldn't do it. I hate to tell you, but sometimes you just need to cut your losses. (Ask me how I know... cough cough ~$10,000 v6-to-v8 engine and tranny transplant that took a year and three months at a shop... on a pollution-controlled Cali truck... expensive lesson, I should have done it myself or probably just not done it at all... you live and learn... at least when all is said and done, I have a working truck though! I can't imagine living in the rust belt.)

Old 07-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Lubriderm

Im down in Az and I bought a 94 dakota, well once I got her stripped down completely I realized there was a ton of frame rust. the bed is rusted to hell too. but everything else including the sub frame seem alright. I figured I would just try my best to patch the frame back up with some thick steel. But I feel the same as you, feels like Im dumpin money in her, buut I just got her and I dont want to abondon it.

Quick Reply: When do I call it quits?