1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wheel spacers? Do I need them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
1stG92
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel spacers? Do I need them?

Hello all.Fortunately thanx to this site and all the great people here I have not had a problem with my truck in over a year now.Thanx to you all...My ? is about wheel spacers.I traded my stock wheels n tires for wider ones off a Durango.And they look great btw.Problem is when turning too hard they are rubbing on the radius arms.Would spacers solve my problem?I can get them cheap enough around $100 but,have never used them before and do not want to spend the money if they are not going to help. Ty

Old 05-20-2014, 03:23 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

spacers i dont advise... puts to much stress on the studs... and can cause them to snap quick..
NOW ADAPTORS that have thier own studs on them are good way to go, only issue is clearance front and rear of tire cause when you gout outward it moves the piiot point so when tire turns it goes further forward and back..

on my lifted 92 dakota (body and suspension) i ran 33X14R15 on 99 Durango 15X8 Rims 5.5 offset and 1.5 inch Wheel Adapter . remeber if you do front do rear.. or front tires will stick out further and look funny LOL

Old 05-20-2014, 03:29 PM
dodgister
Rookie

I don't use spacers.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to run 1" spacers when I had the stock front end, and I never had any problems. As long as you don't go crazy (2" +) and you use quality parts, you should be fine. They will slightly increase wear on front end components, but the effect is minimal.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:27 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom ran spacers? or adapters? spacers just sit there adaptors bolt on then wheel bolt to it....

anyway spacing out tires aint anyworst then a more offset rim

Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 92DakotaClub
Tom ran spacers? or adapters? spacers just sit there adaptors bolt on then wheel bolt to it....

anyway spacing out tires aint anyworst then a more offset rim
By my definition, adapters change the lug pattern and spacers just space the wheels out. Spacers can be either the slip-on kind, or the bolt-on kind that are similar to adapters.

But by both of our definitions, mine were actually adapters, not spacers. They were also hub-centric and wheel-centric, which no doubt contributed to them being trouble-free.

And I agree with your last statement. Same effect as changing wheel offset.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:57 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hub centric.
Wheel centric.
Two very important terms when it comes to strength.
Remember that. If the spacer/adapter is not hub/wheelcentric, keep looking for quality ones that are.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM
1stG92
Professional

Thnx guys.I would say the item I am looking at for this project are spacers as they have the bolts on them.They bolt onto hub then tire bolts to them.Going to try the 1".Thank you all again and I will put an update on here when project is finished.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 1stG92
Thnx guys.I would say the item I am looking at for this project are spacers as they have the bolts on them.They bolt onto hub then tire bolts to them.Going to try the 1".Thank you all again and I will put an update on here when project is finished.
Just FYI, you'll have to shorten your wheel studs with 1" spacers. If you go with 1.25" instead, you won't.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers? Do I need them?