1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

ignition lock cylinder in a 95 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 06:38 PM
scottyspades
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition lock cylinder in a 95 Sport

I just bought a 95 Dakota Sport off craigslist for 350. Needed a driveshaft strap, IAC valve and an ignition switch. Upon dismantling the column, I have discovered the issue lies in the lock cylinder. The round metal piece at the bottom of the cylinder (its round with a notch and it turns the switch in the electronic box in which the cylinder is attached). Im trying to fix this as quick and cheap as possible so I was wondering how many years these style switches were used. I would rather spend change on one out of a junker than 30 - 70 bucks on a whole cylinder. Maybe other models that had this style?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM
SteveDes
Rookie

Got mine online , 16.00 with the shipping. .

Old 06-08-2014, 11:07 AM
scottyspades

Ended up pickin a whole tumbler off a Dakota in the junkyard with key for 10 bucks. I've got it to spit and sputter now but still not running

Old 06-15-2014, 07:16 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey scotty
got a factoid for you. the front part of the key is used for the ignitition switch the backhalf for unlocking doors so if you find a good lock smith they can make so you have one key for both the doors and the ignitition.
Dude

Old 06-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Cooreman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done the iac yet? That could be your problem. If so hope down the ignition line checking that out. Unfortunately I've never tested a coil like these so I'm not sure if the bench test for ohms still works or not but I'm sure some one will enlighten us.

Quick Reply: ignition lock cylinder in a 95 Sport