1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Worst plug wires EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:33 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst plug wires EVER!

I tuned up the 96 Dak. V8 yesterday. The A/C Delco wires and the stupid silicone plug boots were permanently attached to the old plugs. Ended up destroying the otherwise good wires getting them off.

Replacement wires are Bosch, and the boots don't push down as far on the plugs. I've been happy with Bosch wires, so this is good. They come pre-treated with dielectric cream, and I added some for good measure. I live in a very dry climate, water resistance is not much of a concern.

I had a choice of plugs in the parts bin--either conventional Autolite or some Bosch Iridium--I'm more interested in reliability and long life than performance, so the Iridium plugs went in.

The old plugs weren't installed with antisieze creme, and a couple of them were a bitch to get out--and the previous mechanic that worked on the truck didn't torque them correctly about 5 of them were kinda loose. The old plugs looked okay--no signs of oil consumption at 235,000 miles. The old 5.2 Magnum sure is sturdy!

Just a reminder, antisieze will save your cylinder head.

The truck is running pretty nice now--doesn't even ping anymore. And noticeable more git up and go.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 05-24-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Worst plug wires EVER!