1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

anyone put a drain plug in trans pan?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 AM
theace23
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone put a drain plug in trans pan?

Thinking of putting a drain plug in my trans pan unless theirs an easier way to Chang the fluid. I changed it once already with new filter and gasket but I'd like to change all the fluid.

Old 07-27-2014, 12:00 AM
AZ 360 Dakota
Veteran

I have. I drill a hole in the pan and braze a nut in the pan for a bolt to screw into. I also cut notches in the nut on the surface that faces the pan so ALL the fluid can drain out. Otherwise you're going to have a portion of the fluid remain in the pan that can't get over the nut.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 AM
theace23
Amateur

I've heard and read a few ways to do it I just don't have access to a welder. Was thinking of getting the drain plug kit from a parts store but it needs to be welded so it don't come loose. Would jb weld work if I use it like thread lock? I'd just be worried the trans is too hot and melt it back down then I got jb weld floating in my trans.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is VERY easy to do. Just pull the pan, drill the proper size hole and install the body and plug. I just bought mine from pepboys this is the same one. The kit says what size drill bit to use. When choosing your spot for the drain, make sure there is clearance on the inside for the body.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9168972/00697

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 07-27-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:02 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

problem with JB weld is your going to a smooth surface, its would hold its shape and not melt, ive used it in quad engines were the the brackets that hold the stator broke off and it held up till motor finally gave up (23k on a quad this way being tortured in 100 degree weather towing a rough cut mower(500lbs) up a ski hill LOL(dont ask)

if you get the kit why not spend the few bucks and get a welding shop to tack it in for you.. better way would be to drill the hole and weld nut to outside of the pan on back lower side of pan or underside if you got skid plate.. then nothing is inside the pan ..

Crazy's way is easiest and its a squash fitting requires no special anyhting just 2 wrenches lol

Old 07-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ 360 Dakota
I have. I drill a hole in the pan and braze a nut in the pan for a bolt to screw into. I also cut notches in the nut on the surface that faces the pan so ALL the fluid can drain out. Otherwise you're going to have a portion of the fluid remain in the pan that can't get over the nut.
This is pretty much the way I do it, except that I weld the nut instead of brazing, and I drill a hole through it instead of cutting notches. But It works the same and it's cheaper than the drain plug kit, if that matters.

Quick Reply: anyone put a drain plug in trans pan?