1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front end bushings

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 02:04 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front end bushings

So I've done my searching and research. Does anyone have a definitive answer to a few questions?
First, if I modify 2nd gen lower control arm bushings, only one per side is too big right? The other one works without modifying? Will the upper control arm bushings in the kit fit my truck or do I need this kit PLUS the uppers for my truck?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/en...e/model/dakota

Anyone who has been through this before please give me any tips or tricks! Thanks.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:35 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts

That is correct. I am in the middle of doing mine now. Actually one side is done and back together. Almost have the other side done.
The uppers are the same part no. for 97 and 87. The lower as you said, one side fit, the other is too long. What I did was cut out the old bushing, then used the metal sleeve to cut the length of the new metal sleeve. I marked it and used a pipe cutter to shorten it. Then the poly bushings, I just used my bench grinder to cut down. Made several tries to get it exact. A little time consuming, but believe me, getting it all apart is harder then putting it back together. Good luck!!

Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 PM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, thanks. You used the energy suspension poly bushing kit?

Anyone else have any experiences?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:48 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

For the 2WD front suspension, I used the ES bushings and my hardest job was getting the old ones out.

The truck actually bounces "smoother" with less binding than it did with the rubber bushings, but they WERE ancient.

I had to buy a BernzAMatic propane torch to get the rubber out, and it was fun with the UCA bushings since the shaft stayed in there ... but I got it done!

Note: Due to the excessive humidity, the UCA bushings now squeak a bit. This was expected, they ARE poly ... I use some PTFE spray lubricant on them to get them to stop.

RwP

Quick Reply: Front end bushings