1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Exhaust System

I have a 87 v6 4wd and I am going to have to replace the muffler and tailpipe for next month to get it through inspection. My long term plans are to change the motor to a 318-360 magnum, but keep it pretty much stock with the exception of a carb conversion. The 87 already has a carb, and for me it would be more simple to keep it carbed.
All of that being said, I was thinking about using the 2.5 in exhaust for a 94-96 v8 Dakota and then reducing the 2.5 back to 2in at my converter for now.
Also I was considering the dynomax 2.75 in. turbo muffler and tailpipe kit. Then reducing that back to the 2in. converter. But I really am not into a loud exhaust.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, espically concerning fitment, hangers etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:25 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know if the exhaust setup is similar for the '87, but I did buy the Dynomax kit (along with an OEM replacement, non-hi flow catalytic converter) for my '93 under the impression that it is not a very loud exhaust as far as aftermarket exhausts go. At least that is the reputation that the Super Turbo muffler has.

Here's one video, not my truck. I hope mine isn't this loud! I don't have a high flow cat so I don't think it will be. If you can wait a little bit I'll take video of mine. First it has to run though. Give me a week

Old 01-08-2015, 06:15 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

I look forward to your post. But FWIW I personally don't care for the sound of the truck in the youtube above.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:41 PM
tbugden
All Star

Neither do I. Not at all. Idle is okay, but not at all a good sound at revs. One of the youtube commenters mentioned that the sound is probably mostly due to the hi-flow cat as this muffler is not known for such loud notes.

So I hope mine doesn't sound like that because I have a regular cat, but whatever the case a video will be up soon.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:22 PM
tbugden
All Star

Guess what I got. Start-up and exhaust video!

Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post the video!! My speakers are not very good, but yours does sound better then the post above that you linked earlier.
In your opinion, is it much louder then the stock exhaust? The tone is deeper, which I like.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:08 PM
tbugden
All Star

No problem at all. It does sound pretty damn good to me. If you have access to better speakers I'd recommend listening on them, cause the sound my cheap laptop's speakers play is not as accurate as my computer speakers or even headphones. It's quite a deep sound.

I found that the stock exhaust was fairly throaty for a stock exhaust (it's been a while though). This is definitely louder, but I wouldn't say much louder. I'll put it this way...if you're looking for stock sound levels this probably isn't the way to go, but honestly I think this hits just about the perfect medium if you want something a bit louder than stock. I haven't driven it yet so I don't know if it will drone at speed, but I don't think it will.

I'm not sure exactly how high I revved it in that video, but there was absolutely no "ricer" sound to the exhaust as there was in the video above.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

OK, I figured out how to download the video to a memory stick and then played it on my tv with surround sound. You are correct, it does sound good!! Im going to think about it and order one or the other this week. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System