1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No Start Compression Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 PM
i_da_bomb00
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Start Compression Issue

1995 3.9L

One day while driving it, the truck suddenly died. There is fuel and spark. I replaced the timing set (the chain had been flapping for some time) thinking it was a timing issue. The cam gear was nearly bald on one side.

Put it back together, no start. Checked the spark today and it tested fine. Testing the fuel I did the ole spray gasoline in the intake method.

Still no start but I did notice something odd, there is no vacuum at the tb!! I immediately did a compression test and ALL CYLINDERS have NO compression, the crank turns really easily. What in the world can cause this??

Old 02-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie

For all cylinders to not have compression all of a sudden? I can only think valve timing... Do you typically drive it hard? When it died was it just like key off or did it make noise?

Old 02-02-2015, 09:00 AM
i_da_bomb00
Amateur

Originally Posted by Thomas_kota
For all cylinders to not have compression all of a sudden? I can only think valve timing... Do you typically drive it hard? When it died was it just like key off or did it make noise?
It sputtered, rpms went down then suddenly it was off. I put the timing kit in myself, I witnessed the two dots line up. The only thing there is the crank is 180 out but would that make a difference? I'm wondering if it jumped out of time and bent the valves?

Quick Reply: No Start Compression Issue