1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Cost of rebuilding heads? 3.9L

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:02 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I just got the email back from this guy http://www.ramscyl.com/index.htm
They don't have the rockers on the head. He said "no sir no rockers but they are easy to swap over just a bolt to loosen and retighted"
IDK how hard or easy that is as I have never rebuilt a head.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:17 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its easy just matter of moving them from the old heads to the new one and torque them to right spec.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 AM
i_da_bomb00
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I just got the email back from this guy http://www.ramscyl.com/index.htm
They don't have the rockers on the head. He said "no sir no rockers but they are easy to swap over just a bolt to loosen and retighted"
IDK how hard or easy that is as I have never rebuilt a head.

Typically you'd reuse the old rocker arms. Pushrods are cheap enough to replace but you can reuse the old ones as long as they're not bent, you can roll them on a flat surface to reveal a bent rod.

Removing and installing a rocker arm is as simple as loosening and tightening a nut. The pain in the a is setting valve lash. I like to start with the tdc method first then do the old "while it's runnin" method afterwards to make sure they're set good so nothing wears before its service life.

As far as installing heads, assuming your block and new heads are flat and crack free, any amateur mechanic that can follow simple instructions can easily achieve this. I've only done it a few times but never have done it before is a great excuse to try. Diy will save you 1G in labor expenses.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:36 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind i think I will just try to enjoy how much I have improved it already for this year as I have a lot of other projects to get done. I think the only other thing I might try this year is the fuel pump gas gauge issue.

Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 AM
i_da_bomb00
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind i think I will just try to enjoy how much I have improved it already for this year as I have a lot of other projects to get done. I think the only other thing I might try this year is the fuel pump gas gauge issue.
Mine is also broken, I'm just too cheap to fix it lmao!

Quick Reply: Cost of rebuilding heads? 3.9L