1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Bad ground???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin1994
Nothing, no more light.
No light AT ALL, even when not running?

Replace that bad bulb!

Or do you mean you don't know what the key dance is, because you SHOULD at least get a 55 End Of Codes .

RwP

Old 02-01-2017, 09:19 PM
smokin1994
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well the engine light was out the next day I drove the truck. Been driving fine since I replaced the coil AND ignition switch.

I wish I did one at a time though....then I may know which one it was???

Old 02-03-2017, 12:31 AM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin1994
One thing I did notice which was weird...the two wires on the connector to the coil had there insulation sheared off, as if someone were testing for voltage??? Am I thinking right? If the wires are stranded, then taped with masking tape, could that cause and issue?? I taped the wires with electrical tape, truck started right up, ran it for 2-3 hours around the farm, with A/c on, pulling trees, old fence etc. No problems!
If the one wire, cant remember which color, touches metal, it will ground out the coil, and make it cut out. The best way to fix it would be to cut the connector off, put heat shrink on it, and then solder it back together and then cover it with the heat shrink. Electrical tape will work for awhile, until it gets cold, then it cracks and breaks, and can also let moisture in.

Quick Reply: Bad ground???