1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Resonating "Sound" While Not Braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:57 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Resonating "Sound" While Not Braking

Well, I'm at a loss. I have this vibration/sound that seems to come from the front left side of the truck. It is mostly noticeable at low speeds and goes away when the brakes are applied. It's a really, really deep sort of vibration. I installed new ceramic brake pads a couple months ago to stop the annoying brake dust left by the semi-metallics, but this vibration started only a couple weeks ago.

The wheel bearings have less than 10k miles on them, as do the tie rods (though one is already bad :/), the ball joints and control arm bushings. Today I swapped the CV axles side-to-side to see if the noise changed. No change, noise still on the left. The left outer tie rod is bad, but it makes a knocking sound; the vibration seems to be a separate issue.

Last edited by tbugden; 01-29-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Do you still have the old brake pads? If so, I would swap the one wheel out and see if it changes. By the noise going away when you put the brakes on, would lead me to think its the pads.....
BTW I assume you are using stock style rotors and not drilled and slotted rotors. FWIW I had a set of those on my wife's honda pilot. They made a noise when brakes were not applied.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:10 AM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
Well, I'm at a loss. I have this vibration/sound that seems to come from the front left side of the truck. It is mostly noticeable at low speeds and goes away when the brakes are applied. It's a really, really deep sort of vibration. I installed new ceramic brake pads a couple months ago to stop the annoying brake dust left by the semi-metallics, but this vibration started only a couple weeks ago.

The wheel bearings have less than 10k miles on them, as do the tie rods (though one is already bad :/), the ball joints and control arm bushings. Today I swapped the CV axles side-to-side to see if the noise changed. No change, noise still on the left. The left outer tie rod is bad, but it makes a knocking sound; the vibration seems to be a separate issue.
Did you do pads and rotors, or just pads? If you just put pads on, the rotor could be slightly warped, causing it to do that. Another issue could be a tire that is slightly out of balance, a bent wheel, or a bad tire.