1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

LA accessories on a magnum engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:57 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts
Default LA accessories on a magnum engine

I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of converting the magnum accessories, (ps, ac, alt. ) to LA style accessories.

I have seen the hughes snout adapter for the cam, and Im thinking with this, I could use my 3.9 liter accessories off of my truck now. This would allow me to go back to a mech. fuel pump and I think the placement of the accessories would fit under the hood better.

I plan to run the edelbrock intake with a 670 street advenger carb. (the carb I already have) and probably a standard mopar electronic ignition.
Is it as simple as getting the snout adapter and the 87 accessories bolt up to a magnum engine?
Am I missing something here?
Any input on this project would be appreciated.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:55 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Wanted to add a link to this balancer. http://professional-products.com/har...armonic-damper

I think with this and the hughes camshaft adapter, everything from the 87 Dakota should bolt up to the 5.9 magnum.
I need to look at what basically moving everything about 4in forward is going to do, ie. AC lines etc.

Still would like to hear from others on this.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:32 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I'd look for the Shelby V8 parts from 1989 and 1990 to use for things like A/C and what not.

Part numbers can be found from the parts lists on this forum, for instance.

The main thing is the lack of depth between the front of the water pump and where the radiator sits - the Shelby team had to put an electric fan in front of the radiator to make it fit (and take off the mechanical water pump.)

I'd use a single harmonic dampener instead, if it were me. For instance, the ATP for a 1988 5.9 can be had for under $70 ( http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=5512 )

RwP

Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Ralph, thanks for your input. I plan to sandwich dual fans in between the condenser and the radiator.
As far as the balancer goes, I cant use the 88. The 5.9 LA and 5.9 magnum have different balancing. The professional products unit is supposed to come with the different weights, based on what motor is used.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: LA accessories on a magnum engine