1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Issues on switch to carbed engine Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:39 AM
ILuvYahuah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issues on switch to carbed engine Dakota

Thinking of switching from fuel injection to carburetor. Would that be wise?

Old 05-20-2016, 03:08 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

First off, why?

IMO, no - better to fix any current problems. I mean, what does carburation give you for street driving, besides the fun of fiddling with something that can break when you look at it cross eyed?

Not to mention, replacing the distributor, rewiring the engine bay, fixing the gauges, etc.

RwP

Old 05-20-2016, 11:17 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
First off, why?

IMO, no - better to fix any current problems. I mean, what does carburation give you for street driving, besides the fun of fiddling with something that can break when you look at it cross eyed?

Not to mention, replacing the distributor, rewiring the engine bay, fixing the gauges, etc.

RwP
I'm going carb on my 360 swap...cars have been running carbs reliably for 70 years...I like old school, clean engine bay, no computer, etc. Yes fuel injection is less temperamental and if it's your daily driver I'd probably stay with it for the mpg. But if it's your fun knock around truck like mine, nothing wrong going carb.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:22 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

True dat, Robertmee.

However, that also presumes a whole new wiring harness.

(I've done carbs, I've done EFI, I'd rather fiddle with EFI tables than tune a carb, but that's me. That, and having air/fuel and spark both under the control of the same ECU makes it a LOT easier to swap the parameters around for a desired performance target than having to fiddle with both ... add in an electronically controlled transmission, and now you can also control shift points etc.!)

Besides, with full control, you can go COP, which cleans up the engine bay; tuck the wiring under/into the fuel rail/fuel rail covers, and that's dressed up; there's not really THAT much more wiring if you do EFI right.

RwP

Old 05-22-2016, 03:24 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You don't mention year or motor you have.
Assuming its a V6 one of the problems is finding a distributor that will work. The v6 fires in a odd way. The reluctor is set at 116degrees then 124 degrees. Not an even 120. Chrysler used to make a distributor to work with that but it was disc. years ago. And as most know the aftermarket support for the v6 is almost non existent.
Again, with the intake, what year? and even at that, other the the 87 none were designed for carb. FWIW I think the 87 will work on the 88-91.
Now if you have a 5.2 V8 it will be much easier.

Quick Reply: Issues on switch to carbed engine Dakota