1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:02 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New fuel lines

Going to be running new fuel lines for my dak project. Tips? Tools? I've read just do a single bubble flare for line to hose connection...been using the inline oem 3/16 double flare for brakes and it's awesome...any similar tool you guys recommend for fuel? Also whats the recommended transition from the hard line underneath up to the carb fuel rail and back? Any recommendations for routing up/down engine?

Old 05-30-2016, 12:09 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Thinking I'm going to go tool-less. Just use AN fittings and hoses where possible. So plan is to run hard 3/8 aluminum line (should be fine for the 15psi the TBI pump puts out) along frame rail, same as original steel line. Keep same inline fuel filter setup, although go with one with fitting on either end....never liked the in/out on the same end. From the frame rail up to the engine, use braided stainless and AN fittings.

The unknown is from the tank, and the short hard line to hose transitions in/out of the fuel filter. I looked for AN style fuel filters but they are tiny...still might go with one, if anyone has an experience with them. That would eliminate hose transitions at the filter. Then I would just have the hose to hard line transition at the tank. I see they make a compression hard tube to AN fitting, and they make an AN to hose barb fitting, but has anyone seen a hard tube to hose bib fitting? I see some brass one in general plumbing from googling, but surely there's someone that makes one for fuel? Something like this: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/de...vl7BoCgYzw_wcB Would that be safe for gas?

Last edited by robertmee; 05-30-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I'd still plumb for 100psi gas; you might decide to build a real ripsnorter later, and it'd be better to not redo the work.

But that given ... I'm not sure I'd use aluminium anyway, that stuff's too soft for my tastes for something like fuel.

Or more accurately, for something that I'll be trying to seal via clamps.

As to hose barb compression fittings ... they're designed for steel lines, like you'd normally find for fuel, but Dorman makes a few sizes (see these from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...nt-2/hose-barb ). And no, I'd not think they'd be safe on aluminium for gas (too easy to slip on the soft aluminium tubing.)

What you can also do is use the brake style copper alloy lines; something like this http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00VVIQM3..._dp_o_pC_S_ttl for instance.

And I'd then use the flare fittings, but that's me; I do NOT want fuel spewing out, or even dripping out, under my truck! So I go overboard.

RwP

Old 05-30-2016, 02:03 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

I hear you....Earl's makes fittings specifically for aluminum, so I don't think compression would be a problem http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ea...6erl/overview/ ....i could always go compression to AN then AN to barb for the two hose connections at the fuel tank. Everything else would be AN fitting. If there was an inline 37 degree flaring tool like the OEM one for brakes that worked that well, I would consider flaring my own, but there isn't that I can find, and bench top flaring everything on a vise causes it's own problems with good seals. The compression route seemed simple and effective and I haven't heard anything about them being prone to leaks...but I'll continue to research.

Quick Reply: New fuel lines