1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Proper Timing Advance

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 10:20 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
The Megasquirt is one choice, yes.

I'd rather keep it all original as much as possible *grins* Just a'hankerin' to tune something, and dasn't dare do SWMBO's Cougar until I have a proven record (it's why teh truck will be self-painted first; if I do good, I get to do her car. If I screw up, someone else does her car. I'm not sure which one is the better choice .... *grins* )

RwP
Haha, yeah, you're wise to restrain yourself in these endeavors! I'll just add that it's possible, easier even, to let the Megasquirt control fuel and timing, and let the factory ECM control most everything else. The possibilities are endless, if you want to dive in deep!

Old 07-05-2016, 10:54 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Well, the length of an arc is Deg * Radius * Pi / 180

So, 1 Deg and a flywheel radius of 3.88 inches, would give .06768 inches or a little more than 1/16 of an inch. A half inch would give you close to 8 degrees of advance.
I'm not sure the tone ring is only 7.75" in diameter.

Considering the same ring is used with the fly wheel for a clutch ... typically 11" or so in diameter.

RwP

Old 07-06-2016, 07:19 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'm not sure the tone ring is only 7.75" in diameter.

Considering the same ring is used with the fly wheel for a clutch ... typically 11" or so in diameter.

RwP
I have no idea....that 3.88 was off an engineering drawing...I don't have a flywheel on my 90 The point was to show the math...if 11 inches it just means that the arc distance is even greater for one degree of change.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 PM
Shon Raughton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the crank sen

Originally Posted by ragged89
I came up with a little less than 7.5 degrees for half an inch, using a quick calculation of the flywheel circumference and dividing that into 360. So either way a significant change is needed in the mounting position of the crank sensor to get a good start point on the "advance" side I'd say.
why not design a crank sen with a slight angle to make up the half inch for the timing advance

Quick Reply: Proper Timing Advance