1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No headers for me

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No headers for me

Well, attempted to put the headers on. Getting the manifolds off and disconnecting the y pipe was really easy. Went to start bolting on the headers and nope. One stud is too long for the headers and the but hits the headers. One of the bolts won't go in because the header is in the way. So said screw it ain't messing with them any longer and put the manifolds back on. Didn't even attempt to put the drivers side header on. Back together and no leaks.

Old 08-09-2016, 03:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Did you buy the correct headers?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Did you buy the correct headers?
Honestly I bought them used. Story was a guy had em on a ram with the 5.9 and didn't like em.

They line up just fine with the exhaust port and bolt/stud holes. They're just poor quaily and don't allow to have one but on each side to bolt down and can't get another bolt on each side to slide in.

If someone had time and patience, they could probabably work with some finagilling. But won't be by me.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:17 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

those studs should have come right out with a pair of vise grips while the manifold was off. You have to remove the studs and replace with bolts.
what are you gonna do with the headers if you arent gonna use them?
I may be interested. are they shortys or long tube?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:18 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by volaredon
those studs should have come right out with a pair of vise grips while the manifold was off. You have to remove the studs and replace with bolts.
Yeah what he said...headers I have can't use studs as they hit the pipes...gotta use bolts and keep the head flush to the plate under the pipe as you screw them in. It's a pain but mine is a new engine with no fenders yet so it was easy...but if doing it as a retrofit it'd be a pain in the aspirin.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:50 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Unfortunately they're just no name shorties.

And at the risk of sounding like an idiot, for some reason I recall reading that those studs are water jackets? Meaning if you take those out the block will drain antifreeze?

That also leaves one bolt on each side I don't see how it'll go in because of the pipes. Surely 5 bolts on each side instead of the 6 that's there would be enough to make a good seal?

Old 08-09-2016, 09:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

On the older "LA" series engines, yeah/ the outside (very front and very back) ones do go into the water jackets, but not on a Magnum. and even then, just like when changing a radiator/ get done wrenching and top it of with more... done.

still might be interested if you arent gonna use them.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

On the older "LA" series engines, yeah/ the outside (very front and very back) ones do go into the water jackets, but not on a Magnum. and even then, just like when changing a radiator/ get done wrenching and top it of with more... done.

still might be interested if you arent gonna use them.
Thanks for the quick response. What about that 6th bolt I may not be able to get one. Would 5 make them seal good enough?

I may give it another try tomorrow. If I would sell them, it'd be $100 + shipping.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:28 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Thanks for the quick response. What about that 6th bolt I may not be able to get one. Would 5 make them seal good enough?

I may give it another try tomorrow. If I would sell them, it'd be $100 + shipping.
Try using a shorter bolt and putting it in the hole before you put the header up to the head. You also might be able to slightly drill out the hole so you can tip the bolt in at an angle. Last but not least, make sure you're using small-head bolts specifically designed for headers.

Quick Reply: No headers for me