1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

World's worst heater...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Believe it or not they used the same heater core in the Dakota as they did on a lot of the FWD cars that they made during the same time like the Omni's and dynasty's, and spirit/acclaim. Those cars all have larger cabin areas to heat than a Dakota. I remember those cars would usually burn you out.
I have had 4 Dakotas the newest was a 94. Current truck is a 92 club cab. I had to replace the heater core in only one and that was the 93 when it sprung a leak. I had to flush the one in the 94 when I got it. The 90 was a blast furnace of a heater for the 5 years that I owned it, never had to touch that one. I have not had the 92 long enough to see what the heat may be like, though I did do all the hoses and thermostat the day I brought it home. I am currently working the air conditioning system to death. Only had this truck since May 14 since which time I have already racked up 8000 miles and been on 2 long, out of state trips in it.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:31 PM
Suzonda
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
I don't know, but my truck is 1988 - second year of production period, definitely first gen.

It has great heat in the winter, always has, even with the Extreme Cooling radiator (note: the Mopar package was called Extreme Cooling; that's not a brand.)

I'd say it's fair time to triple check the water flow through the heater core; everyone that complains about no heat turns up to have a plugged heater core. This is also true of my 1991 Cougar and the other MN12, my old 2000 Maliby, my ancient 1967 Mustang, etc.

RwP
It's a brand new heater core, brand new hosing, piping, water pump, 210* Thermo, thinner radiator than the one that was on it, even put a flex fan on it. I've even gone as far as removing the A/C core itself and still no heat.

Old 08-16-2016, 04:08 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Suzonda
It's a brand new heater core, brand new hosing, piping, water pump, 210* Thermo, thinner radiator than the one that was on it, even put a flex fan on it. I've even gone as far as removing the A/C core itself and still no heat.
I didn't notice if you answered the question/request that you check if the hoses just that enter the firewall in the engine bay get hot. That would tell us if the problem is inside or outside the cab.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Suzonda
Rookie

IN & OUT are both blister burn worthy and have solid pressure. I put a laser thermometer on the heater core and it only read 82*. I know there's flow into it since plenty of coolant pops out full pressure if the OUT hose is taken off. I may just end up building something that wraps around the headers and heat the cab that way. If it worked for VWs it can work for this.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:13 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

You have some kind of circulation problem in the new heater coil. It sounds as if you didn't manage to get all the air burped out.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:24 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

IN & OUT are both blister burn worthy and have solid pressure. I put a laser thermometer on the heater core and it only read 82*. I know there's flow into it since plenty of coolant pops out full pressure if the OUT hose is taken off. I may just end up building something that wraps around the headers and heat the cab that way. If it worked for VWs it can work for this.
So.

Water in is blister burn worthy (i.e., over 140F); but the heater core itself is 82*?

You have a bypass of some kind, or your measurements are inaccurate.

Because if you've got 140* water going through that core, it'll be a LOT more than 82*. That's more like room temperature.

Fix your very obvious problem with the flow first.

RwP

Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Suzonda, I have to ask, Are you for real? Or are you just playing on the internet?
Now, this may be offensive, but let me tell you why I ask.
1. you claim to have used 3600 psi pressure to clean the system out.
2. you claim to have a 210 degree thermostat
3. you claim to have converted from a 2.5 engine to a 3.9. Yet in previous post you speak of the 92 being 4wd.
4. You claim to tow 36ft trailers on 600 mile trips? With a v-6 dakota?

Now, going back to a previous post I am going to copy and paste.

Maroon (Daily): '92 3.9L, 4x4, Dana 40F 60R 3.92 gearing, welded rear end. Picked this one an the '01 up for $1200 for the pair. Did a complete frame up restoration on this beast. Has Pioneer 6.1 Audio system. Kick panels: 4" Subs, Doors: 4.25 3-way Full Range, Rear: Integrated 6x9 RF Full range complimented by Dual SD12s integrated into seat back.

Silver (Daily): '01 3.9L, RWD w/ remote locker. Dana 40 axle, 5.13 gearing. Had EVERYTHING replaced except body, interior, and rims. Gearvendors OD. Rockford Fosgate/Infinty Audio. 6.5" front, 8" integrated subs in rear w/ Facto-modded headunit (Looks stock but output is kicked from 30w to 200w/ch)

Black (Lawn Ornament): '90 5.9 Cummins swap. Full time 4x4 w/ Dana 60 F & R. Currently has nests in cylinders and intake. Broken frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Roll call! Post up Pics!!!
-img_20160429_113545.jpg Roll call! Post up Pics!!!-dscn7766.jpg Roll call! Post up Pics!!!-img_20160427_165346.jpg Roll call! Post up Pics!!!-00d0d_41cezuxcfv6_600x450.jpg

FWIW I would love to see pictures, under the hood of the 90 dakota with a 5.9 cummins engine!!
Also, pictures of the dana 60 would be great too.

Let me just finish by saying, I find it hard to believe anyone could or would accomplish these feats, yet need help figuring out why their heater does not work.

So again, are you for real, or is this just some joke?

Old 08-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Suzonda
Rookie

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

So again, are you for real, or is this just some joke?
What I do in my life is strictly my concern and it'll stay just that. You're obviously one of those "If I don't approve it, it's not reality" freaks so if you have a problem with my life, too ****ing bad. I don't know the history of the vehicle or what it's been through. All I know are the repairs I do to it and what needs to be done to make it better. And if you don't like the fact I overwork my trucks because that's what they're designed to do then I'm sure there's a door around here with your name over it...

On the ORIGINAL SUBJECT (and this thread will stay just that) I'd say the systems is "burped out" since both in and out lines are equally hot. BUT after spending 4 hours ripping apart the dash I found the selector door between AC and Heat wasn't quite moving as well as it should. New cable later, heater's back to mediocre. Still can't explain why the core isn't heating up but I'll take it.

Last edited by Suzonda; 08-20-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 09:42 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

Both lines being hot does not mean that all air is out of the heater core. The symptoms you describe say you have trapped air in the core.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:47 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

What I do in my life is strictly my concern and it'll stay just that. You're obviously one of those "If I don't approve it, it's not reality" freaks so if you have a problem with my life, too ****ing bad..

Oh, I am not questioning anything about your life. Just what you are posting on a public Dodge Forum. As far as my taste in vehicles, I like all of them. Love to see the modified and orig. ones. As a matter of fact, one of the coolest dakota's I have seen has a LS motor in it.

I ask you if you are for real or is this a joke, based off of what you are writing on a public forum. Nothing to do with your life, just your trucks!!

1. A 92 dakota 4x4 that came with a 4 cyl motor?
2. A 210 thermostat?
3. 3600 psi pressure used to clean the heater?

Then you post
1. A 90 dakota with a 5.9 cummins engine?
2. A dakota with a dana 60 rear end?

If I am wrong to question these things, just post up a picture under the hood of the 90 dakota with a 5.9 cummins, and prove me wrong. Then I will apologize for questioning you!!

As far as this heater goes in the 92 dakota. When working properly, they are a great heater, and not as you say, the worlds worst heater.
A truck heater is really a simple design. Hot water in. Good flow, clean heater core, and air across the coil. If you have these it will put out heat.
Course you probably already know that. As in one of your previous post you state you own a shop and are an ASE cert. Mechanic.

Again, if its true you put a 5.9 cummins in a 90 dakota, post a picture showing it, and I will write public apology on this post for doubting you.
Just in case you forgot, its the black truck you posted the picture of earlier and said its a lawn ornament. Pop the hood, snap a picture of that 5.9 cummins, and I will apologize.

Quick Reply: World's worst heater...